You are here

Bass traps

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Bass traps

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:46 am

You're right, sealing would make it a tuned box. In the (few) installations I've done with MLV I've left it hanging free, and I've always been happy with the results.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Norberto » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:35 pm

Hi! I have a problem with the bass. There’s a lot of bass in the room and I want to improve the acoustics. I'm a beginner. What is a good bass trap? What kind of bass trap do you recommend?
Norberto

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:29 am

Welcome to the forum.

More info required, size of room*, what treatment do you have already, what kind of music (live instruments recorded with mics, VSTi's only etc.) what monitors and recording chain?

* And a floor plan if possible, either a link to an image or, to display it in the post you'll need to use incur or similar as the forum doesn't host images.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:44 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:It is certainly an option, and PW and I did exactly that many years ago in a studio SOS where we built a vocal booth, and there was limited space for absorption, so the bass trap had to double as a broadband trap too. it's not a problem, as long as you take its HF absorption into account when you're assessing what other treatment to place around the room.
H

I still remember that article! One of my fave Studio SOSs.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Norberto » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:37 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Welcome to the forum.

More info required, size of room*, what treatment do you have already, what kind of music (live instruments recorded with mics, VSTi's only etc.) what monitors and recording chain?

* And a floor plan if possible, either a link to an image or, to display it in the post you'll need to use incur or similar as the forum doesn't host images.

The room is 4x4 meters and I use a Dynaudio Contour 1.3 . The wall is made of concrete.
What kind of bass trap do you recommend trying?
Norberto

Postby DanDan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:58 pm

Oh dear, square and highly reflective at LF. This will need massive bass traps capable of 40Hz absorption. Do you have a different room available?
DanDan
Regular
Dan FitzGerald MIOA  MAES
www.irishacoustics.com
www.soundsound.ie

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:23 am

What are you doing in the room, recording, mixing, making beats, watching films? If you are creating music then genre would help and whether you use real instruments or do everything 'in the box'. As DanDan says in a small square room with hard walls it is going to be difficult to control the bass. You'll find that you don't have huge bass all over the room, for example the exact centre should be a null point where bass is very much reduced at certain frequencies.

However, it is possible to make it workable, my room is about the same size and in a basement, brick walls lined with plasterboard. I have three large bass traps, two are of the Studiotips SuperChunks design and go floor to ceiling in two of the corners, the other is a 1400 x 900 x 250 mm set into a bricked up window bay. But I have 7 other 1200 x 600 x 50 mm broadband absorbers at mirror points and other 'hotspots' (over the drum kit and vocal corner) and I plan to add another 5 or 6 panels soon. Combined with a reasonable choice of mixing position I have a usable room which sound pretty good.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Norberto » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:48 pm

I just listen to music and watch movie. This was recommended to me. What do you think about it? Can you help reduce the bass?

https://perfect-acoustic.com/termek/acoustical-sound-panels/
Norberto

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:27 pm

I haven't come across the company before, they look ok but the graph looks a little optimistic WRT the LF attenuation. You will probably need some broadband absorbers as well. Gik Acoustics do a wide range of treatment and have a good reputation in professional circles (they are not the only option though).

Part of the reason you have a lot of bass could be to do with the positioning if the speakers and the listening position relative to each other and in the room. A pic of the room and/or a floor plan would help us to advise.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:39 pm

I share Sam's scepticism about the absorption plots, and I can't find any information about fire-ratings.

But on the upside they do look quite nice and the prices are attractive. It appears to be a one-man setup in Hungary...
Hugh Robjohns

Postby blinddrew » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:04 pm

And the larger ones are actually deep enough to do some good in the corners.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:15 pm

True -- better than many... but still only half the frontal width of mine! :tongue: :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby blinddrew » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:22 pm

Well if we're going to be like that, mine are 84cm across the front... ;)
But mine are just in the corners, not full height.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Previous