You are here

Low Density vs High Density for Superchunks

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Low Density vs High Density for Superchunks

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:45 am

Thanks. It was the fibres/irritant part of the thing I was concerned about, the room is not damp any more :D . It would be very useful to be able to remove the bass traps without dismantling them to allow the occasional rewire of tie lines etc so I may stretch something over the back just to make that more convenient.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:59 pm

Sam

Having built a couple of generations of traps / broadband absorbers I would say that Cara fabric is worth the expense for show faces but, if you get your measurements correct and you don't have spare material left over, then cotton dust sheet from B&Q is great for the backs.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:17 pm

Are you reading my mind (or hacking my internet account)? Cara fabric arrived today and a couple of B&Q cotton dust sheets are already on the shopping list. :bouncy:

I have the 50mm RW3 (100mm for the bass traps to follow) and the timber for framing will be delivered in a couple of days, I've even bought a cheap electric nailer/stapler to make the job easier.

Construction will commence next week. :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:30 pm

The kind of weed-stop matting sold for next to nothing in garden centres is also good for a cheap out-of-sight covering as it is sufficiently porous to air and slightly stretchy which makes it easy to make wrinkle-free. As it happens, it doesn't look too bad at all as a main covering -- we made some low-cost traps with it for a studio SOS seven years ago... but Cara is nicer if there's a budget for it.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... -tony-rigg

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby James Perrett » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:33 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:a couple of B&Q cotton dust sheets are already on the shopping list. :bouncy:

I went to Screwfix for a couple of dust sheets but I don't think the guy behind the counter realised what he was selling - I ended up with a couple of bales! I used the spare ones to cover the ceiling in the studio.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby blinddrew » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:39 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone know a good supplier for cara? Or Lucia?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:42 pm

Bought mine (Cara) from Gik Acoustics. Decent price and very helpful.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:04 am

Cheers Sam, will give them a look. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby miN2 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:46 am

That's kinda pricey. You could get an additional 2 packs of RW3 for only 5 metres of that :o Burlap's half that price if it suits you. Cotton's half again.
miN2
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:06 am

The cost of the fabric is only about ⅓ of the overall cost of the job and, while the difference is purely cosmetic, it means anybody with minimal DIY skills can build professional looking panels. if money is really tight (and appearance is of little importance) you can use black porous garden membrane which is super cheap.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:07 am

Yep, cheapest i've found is £160 for a 20m x 1.7m roll.
Might have to consider alternatives.
On the other hand, do it well, do it once, and don't be vexed when you look at it every day for the next 30 years...
:D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:09 am

Exactly and Gik will sell by the metre so you only buy what you need.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:43 pm

I've bought most of my Cara fabric from Making Waves Audio on Ebay. A 5m roll was just under £50 when I last bought some a few months ago. The big advantage of Cara is that it is very easy to work with, it is acoustically transparent and it meets the fire regulations. Hessian may be cheaper but it doesn't look as neat (in my opinion) and probably won't meet the fire regulations.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Luke W » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:35 am

James Perrett wrote:The big advantage of Cara is that it is very easy to work with, it is acoustically transparent and it meets the fire regulations. Hessian may be cheaper but it doesn't look as neat (in my opinion) and probably won't meet the fire regulations.

It really is nice to work with, I was surprised at the finish I managed to get on my panels despite never having worked with fabric before.

Don't regret spending the extra bit on it at all, it was well worth it in my opinion.
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Previous