You are here

any recommendations for a studio chair?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: any recommendations for a studio chair?

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:31 pm

There is one downside to the Miller chair that drives me crazy. It rotates very easily so if you stand up for a second with the intention of sitting right back down you may find the chair has turned and you could fall down, well I could anyway.
I have developed a technique where I can get up from the chair with each cheek leaving the seat within milliseconds of each other but really. :headbang:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ramthelinefeed » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:02 pm

Well, just to return to this thread two years on -

I'd held off forking out for an expensive chair,
but thanks to COVID-19, my day job has had me working from home since March, with no end in sight.

My work laptop is sat on the same desk as my music PC, in my home studio. So I'm now sat there for about 12 hours a day most days! This has ergonomic implications :headbang:

So I bit the bullet, and shelled out for a Herman Miller Mira 2
https://www.hermanmiller.com/en_gb/prod ... -2-chairs/

Bloody pricey (I could have bought a whole synthesizer for that money!) but having been sat on it for about a week now, I have no regrets. I suspect my spine will thank me for it in the long term :angel:
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:03 pm

I had the original Mirra chair in use here for about 15 years, and it has now moved on to a colleague still looking and working virtually as it was when new -- the chair that is... my colleague is looking decidedly haggard! :lol:

I found the Mirra extremely comfortable and supportive, and I was often sat in it for 12 hours + a day (albeit with the prescribed H&S breaks ;-) ). I would happily have continued to use it now, too, except that I designed the desk in my new studio to be a little higher (intentionally) and the height range of the original Mirra was quite enough to be workable.

So although initially pricey, The cost per year was actually very low, and it has comprehensively outlasted and out-performed every other office chair I've ever owned. And on that basis I've upgraded to the Aeron chair which is much the same in terms of comfort and personalisation, but even better engineered.... It should see me comfortably into my dotage!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Previous