You are here

any recommendations for a studio chair?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

any recommendations for a studio chair?

Postby ramthelinefeed » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:53 pm

I'm guessing this tenuously belongs in the "studio design" forum!
(Apologies if there was already a thread about this in the past, but searching on "chair" didn't find one...)

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good chair for sitting in front of the computer in the studio? I tried a few in Ikea last week and they were all blimmin' awful (even the one costing £260!) - insufficiently adjustable and/or just plain uncomfortable. Given the grief I've had with RSI in the past, and the admonitions I've received about correct posture, I don't wanna buy something that's no good.

The office chair I have in may day job isn't bad but I think cost nearer £500.
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with!

Re: any recommendations for a studio chair?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:13 pm

I was going to recommend the Herman Miller Mirra chair, but that's around £600...

In its defence, though, I've had mine for over a decade and its as comfortable now as it was the day I bought it, which makes the initial cost rather easier to bear. No reason it won't last many more years yet, either. Very adjustable. Very tough. Very good.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby garrettendi » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:32 pm

My studio chair is a comfortable office chair from Argos. I used it all the time back when I worked from home so I can vouch that it was very comfortable for long periods.

It's leather, well padded and adjustable and I got it on sale for about £80. Only problem is, they seem to have discontinued it. When I'm free, I'll take a closer look and see if it's still available.

However, it might be best to suggest that regardless of what recommendations you get (including this glowing endorsement) - how comfortable a chair is is largely down to personal preference, so make sure you "try before you buy"
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby John Egan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:20 pm

feline1 wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good chair for sitting in front of the computer in the studio? I tried a few in Ikea last week and they were all blimmin' awful (even the one costing £260!) - insufficiently adjustable and/or just plain uncomfortable. Given the grief I've had with RSI in the past, and the admonitions I've received about correct posture, I don't wanna buy something that's no good.

The office chair I have in may day job isn't bad but I think cost nearer £500.

Hi Feline1,
This might be a bit left field, but my most important requirement was for a chair that was comfortable, solid and which wouldn't squeak when I recorded acoustic guitar (my studio is a single room, with space at a premium and I am the sole engineer and performer). So I looked around and found that the best option was a chair made by a local maker of high quality furniture. It is actually a dining chair. I've used it for ten years now and have never regretted the £200 (ish) that I spent. Not for everyone, I know but hey..................
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:28 pm

I bought a couple in the last few years. One from Argos and the other from Staples, neither was more than about £80. The main one (I think that was the one from Staples) has arms which lift up which is great for playing the guitar.

The other one (without arms) was intended as a spare but, since next door's cat seems to have taken a shine to the main one, it's seeing a fair bit of use.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:31 pm

I use a drum stool. Adjustable, swivelable, good for guitar playing as well as drums and kind of forces me into a good position.
Won't be suitable for everyone obviously...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby garrettendi » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:34 pm

blinddrew wrote:I use a drum stool. Adjustable, swivelable, good for guitar playing as well as drums and kind of forces me into a good position.
Won't be suitable for everyone obviously...

Actually it can be helpful to have both. I have a drum stool as well as my normal office chair, and I also have a piano stool as well. Both the drum stool and the piano stool are ideal for when I'm playing/recording guitar (though I keep the drum stool behind the kit at all times). An office chair is much nicer when working on an already recorded part.

A folding keyboard stool like the one I have can be got for around £20 so it wouldn't break the bank to have both. A drum stool is a little more but can still be cheap.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:12 pm

Search eBay, you will find used/ liquidation office furniture vendors selling Herman Miller and Humanscale chairs within your budget.

In 2010 I bought my Humanscale Task chair on eBay for £200 including shipping to Ireland. Here are the contact details. Steve Thomas was the guy might be worth phoning them.
http://knightstorofficefurniture.co.uk/

The Humanscale Task chair is very adjustable and you can easily drop the arms down for playing guitar or piano. Most comfortable chair I ever used. Bought it after a studio session where they'd paid £1200 for a new one!
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby ramthelinefeed » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:52 am

some good suggestions here, thanks everybody! :D
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with!

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:37 pm

Ok ban me from the forums for low brow taste but -
When I was researching chairs I came across a comment about the Herman Miller chair which stated that due to the mesh material you sit on it is the best chair to fart in (on?). Anyway I bought one not because of the poster's analysis but because of the adjustable lumbar support which sounded like a good idea. In the end I find it rather useless but the rest of the chair provides good support if you don't slouch. Hard to remember that when tired after a long day in that chair.

My absolute best chair I found has very little padding and the seat is parallel to the ground. Almost every chair tilts the pelvis back which doesn't encourage good posture. I can do a full day in that chair except the back support is a small padded thingy and after a long day it rubs the wrong way. So there is no perfect chair, well perhaps the lazy boy recliner with massage options and a beer holder! :)
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:45 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:My absolute best chair I found has very little padding and the seat is parallel to the ground. Almost every chair tilts the pelvis back which doesn't encourage good posture.

The Herman Miller Mirra and Aeron 'fart-away' chairs have a setting which tilts the base forward slightly, to improve posture... and I find it works very well. ;-)

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:59 pm

:D
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby zenguitar » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:59 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:The Herman Miller Mirra and Aeron 'fart-away' chairs have a setting which tilts the base forward slightly, to improve posture... and I find it works very well. ;-)

H

It's MIDI CC42. When Hugh gets carried away on his Hammond it has been known to dump him out of the chair completely ;)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby Folderol » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:00 pm

zenguitar wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:The Herman Miller Mirra and Aeron 'fart-away' chairs have a setting which tilts the base forward slightly, to improve posture... and I find it works very well. ;-)

H

It's MIDI CC42. When Hugh gets carried away on his Hammond it has been known to dump him out of the chair completely ;)

Andy :beamup:
Reminds me of an old organist many years ago, telling the family that you can always tell when someone has mastered Widor's Tocata because they don't fall off the bench half way through :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:08 pm

zenguitar wrote:It's MIDI CC42. When Hugh gets carried away on his Hammond it has been known to dump him out of the chair completely ;)

:bouncy: :D :thumbup: :clap:
Hugh Robjohns

Next