You are here

Old Roland Jupiter 8 restoration

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Old Roland Jupiter 8 restoration

Postby DarrenGlen » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:07 am

Hi all, just wanted to mention that I have been working on restoring an old knackered Jupiter 8 to new condition, taking pics and video every step of the way inside and describing what the parts are and where I am sourcing them from. A friend suggested I put the pics up on a blog, the address is :
www.jup8restoration.wordpress.com

Since i started this thing it seems to have turned up on Hackaday, Reddit, Twitter, Facebook and synthtopia to name a few. Quite amazing really how it’s taken off I hope the info helps someone out there!

Cheers!
DarrenGlen
Poster

Re: Old Roland Jupiter 8 restoration

Postby desmond » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:20 am

I've been following your blog, and think it's fantastic!

I'm really enjoying your journey, I'm a huge JP8 fan, will never own one, and I'm rooting for you 100% to end up with an immaculate, beautiful looking and sounding instrument of your dreams!

Thanks for sharing! :clap:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:24 am

It's always good to see someone bringing one of these old beasts back to life. I sold my old JP-8 a couple of years back, because the stress of ownership was too much for me.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi forumuser782540, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

A totally fascinating read, so thanks for posting.

And please don't be bashful - give yourself a more revealing forum name so we can get to know you a bit better (after all, we love what we've heard so far ;) )

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Folderol » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:28 pm

That's some serious dedication that is. Impressive results.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Just because you know what I'm talking about, it doesn't mean I do!

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:07 pm

Just reading it with interest (and I'm a guitarist not a keyboard player though I did sell keys and synths for a living back in the late '70s)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:13 pm

Impressive dedication, and an interesting read. I'm eagerly awaiting the new screen printing!

I can certainly appreciate the desire to own one of these glorious instruments. I still remember the excitement I felt when I read through Roland's brochures back in the 70s and 80s, dreaming of owning the Jupiter 8 flagship.. but at the time the best I could afford was an SH09 mono synth to which I later added a CSQ100 sequencer.

Later, after I got a decent job in the early 1980s and started playing in a band using the guitarist's Juno60, I spent many a sleepless night trying to decide between buying a new Jupiter 6 or a pre-loved CS80. The head said the JP6 but the heart said the CS80, and that's what I went with.
Inevitably, though, I soon discovered that it really wasn't an instrument to be gigging with, and I couldn't afford to buy the Jp6 as well... so I ended up leaving the band to make way for a keyboard player with a Korg Poly61!

But the CS80 was the most stunning instrument to play and I absolutely adored it. Sadly, I made the mistake of selling it in the mid 90s because of a lack of space... something I regret almost daily!

A decade later the opportunity arose to buy a 12bit Jupiter 8 which I seized upon to re-live those teenage fantasy days... but unfortunately I was completely underwhelmed with it --probably after being so spoiled with the CS80 -- and sold it on within a year. The Arturia version provides a good enough impression of it for me now, without all the maintenance worries.

Nevertheless, the Jupiter 8 is an iconic and beautiful thing. I hope you get great pleasure from yours when it is fully restored. Keep up the good work.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby resistorman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:25 pm

Wow, pretty much the definition of the word restoration! Great read. May you have years of enjoyment.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby DarrenGlen » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:12 am

Martin Walker wrote:Hi forumuser782540, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

A totally fascinating read, so thanks for posting.

And please don't be bashful - give yourself a more revealing forum name so we can get to know you a bit better (after all, we love what we've heard so far ;) )

Martin
Thanks Martin! Wow ! Much respect I’ve read your articles for so long I’ve got a garage full of SOS issues proliferated with your fine work over the years. I’ve been a subscriber for over 10 years actually it’s a thrill to see you took a peek at my little blog!

(And I’ve applied for the user name change upon your advice.)

Thanks also to the other comments. Wow letting Both a CS80 AND a Jupiter 8 slip through your hands in the 90s I feel for you man :(
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby DarrenGlen » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:07 am

hi all ive just upped a new post on the first stages of putting Cora my Jupiter 8 back together, starting with the base panel. The voice boards, CPU board, Transformer etc back in place after the powder coating. Lots of pics here of the boards:

https://jup8restoration.wordpress.com/2 ... el-part-1/

(next post im working on is my journey through the twists and turns of getting new Jupiter 8 Aluminum cheeks made from scratch!!)

cheers,
Blackout
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:47 pm

Great to see this coming together! :clap:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Folderol » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:48 pm

Lovely to see this, and kudos for the care and attention.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Just because you know what I'm talking about, it doesn't mean I do!

Postby Steve A » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:13 pm

That was an amazing read. I'm mightily impressed on all counts but not least that you were actually able to obtain one without mortgaging your soul (having been down a similar route coveting said beast only to give up as well once prices got silly). Will continue to follow with great interest!
Steve A
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:01 pm

DarrenGlen wrote:hi all ive just upped a new post on the first stages of putting Cora my Jupiter 8 back together, starting with the base panel. The voice boards, CPU board, Transformer etc back in place after the powder coating. Lots of pics here of the boards:

https://jup8restoration.wordpress.com/2 ... el-part-1/

(next post im working on is my journey through the twists and turns of getting new Jupiter 8 Aluminum cheeks made from scratch!!)

Wow - that's quite an undertaking - well done Darren! :clap:

Useful tip about cleaning up small brass parts with a dremel and a soft rubber tool head too. Must try that myself rather than getting smelly hands using a rag and brasso ;)

Looking forward to seeing these aluminium side cheeks too - are we talking machined plates?

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby DarrenGlen » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:03 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
Looking forward to seeing these aluminium side cheeks too - are we talking machined plates?

Martin

exactly Martin...laser cut, polished, anodised. I supply the exact laser machine .dwg file for the Jupiter 8 cheeks as well in the post!

(on a side note its a shame that the editors of SOS dont feel the project is worthy of mention in the actual magazine maybe you can have a whisper in their ear??)

Kind Regards,
Darren.
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby ken long » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:29 pm

That was an amazing read! Thank you for sharing.

Your attention to detail is amazing. I think the slider story is my favourite.

Looking forward to seeing it finished.
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby zenguitar » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:19 pm

DarrenGlen wrote:(on a side note its a shame that the editors of SOS dont feel the project is worthy of mention in the actual magazine maybe you can have a whisper in their ear??)

Kind Regards,
Darren.

The fact that it hasn't been mentioned in the magazine doesn't mean that the editors of SOS won't think it's worth mentioning.

If you are a regular reader of SOS you will spot that there are regularly articles about interesting projects, and you definitely have an interesting project. How about popping over to the SOS contacts page and emailing the features editor to have a discussion. Here's a link to the page you need...

https://www.soundonsound.com/contact

Whispering not required ;)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:18 am

Impressively obsessive though your work on the restoration is, it's too slow and sporadic to be worthy of a series of articles, not to mention being extremely niche and of limited value/interest to the wider SOS readership. However, some sort of item might be worth discussion when the work is complete.

Nevertheless, I have been following your progress and I expect some of my colleagues have too. I look forward to seeing the finished thing.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby DarrenGlen » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:47 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Impressively obsessive though your work on the restoration is, it's too slow and sporadic to be worthy of a series of articles, not to mention being extremely niche and of limited value/interest to the wider SOS readership. However, some sort of item might be worth discussion when the work is complete.

Nevertheless, I have been following your progress and I expect some of my colleagues have too. I look forward to seeing the finished thing.

H
Hi Hugh all I was thinking about was maybe a one liner in the magazines “news” and the link to the blog? The hits it is getting around the world is surely newsworthy..? Re-printing my blog as an article was never really a consideration...
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby DarrenGlen » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:49 am

Hi all... a new post on Cora’s progress is up... the process of remaking the Jupiter 8 aluminium cheeks! I’ve included the laser .dwg files necessary for the job as well. Hope you like it and get some useful info out of it:

https://jup8restoration.wordpress.com/2 ... r-cutting/
DarrenGlen
Poster

Next