You are here

Old Roland Jupiter 8 restoration

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Old Roland Jupiter 8 restoration

Postby Folderol » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:16 pm

DarrenGlen wrote:Hi all... a new post on Cora’s progress is up... the process of remaking the Jupiter 8 aluminium cheeks! I’ve included the laser .dwg files necessary for the job as well. Hope you like it and get some useful info out of it:

https://jup8restoration.wordpress.com/2 ... r-cutting/
This part in itself is worth putting up in some highly visible place. Real craftsmen are an endangered species these days!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:06 pm

DarrenGlen wrote:Hi all... a new post on Cora’s progress is up... the process of remaking the Jupiter 8 aluminium cheeks! I’ve included the laser .dwg files necessary for the job as well. Hope you like it and get some useful info out of it:

https://jup8restoration.wordpress.com/2 ... r-cutting/

Well that was a read and a half, and very sobering! What a carry on DarrenGlen! :headbang:

I suppose we've all been down that road at one time or another, and I'm only thankful that when I got some cherry side panels made for my Korg MS-20 Mini, they were made beautifully by Matthew Dolmage of Dolmage Designs in Canada (I chose him because everyone else seemed to be at least double the price - ring any bells? ;) )

www.yewtreemagic.co.uk/soundworlds3.php

He sent me in-progress photos, even letting me choose which grain I preferred from photos of several blanks he'd cut, and the only delay was with delivery, which was largely out of his hands.

I am well pleased with the results, and would highly recommend him to anyone who's interested in synth side panels or hand-built guitars. Here's a link to his Etsy shop:

www.etsy.com/shop/DolmageDesigns

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby DarrenGlen » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:06 am

Thanks for your comments Martin! Your MS20 looks like a beauty with those wooden cheeks. Amazing the difference it makes eh. Good craftsmanship is indeed hard to come by these days.

Does he also work with Aluminium?

Best regards,
Darren
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby MarkOne » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:28 am

What a brilliant blog!

And a real labour of love... I binge read the whole thing up to date yesterday evening. I take my hat off to you for your attention to detail and I'm looking forward to seeing future progress.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:51 pm

DarrenGlen wrote:Thanks for your comments Martin! Your MS20 looks like a beauty with those wooden cheeks. Amazing the difference it makes eh. Good craftsmanship is indeed hard to come by these days.

Does he also work with Aluminium?

Thanks for your kind words Darren :thumbup:

As far as I know, Matthew only works with a wide range of woods - I've never seen him display any aluminium creations.

Sorry! :(

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby DarrenGlen » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:09 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
As far as I know, Matthew only works with a wide range of woods - I've never seen him display any aluminium creations.

Sorry! :(

Martin

Not surprising. Its a whole different set of tools. Computer controlled Laser cutters are not something that most ppl have kicking around in the spare room. Working with wood is much easier to do (and make look good) in your own rear workshop it seems.
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby DarrenGlen » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:09 am

MarkOne wrote:What a brilliant blog!

And a real labour of love... I binge read the whole thing up to date yesterday evening. I take my hat off to you for your attention to detail and I'm looking forward to seeing future progress.

Thanks Mark! I am looking forward to seeing progress as well! Getting kinda frustrated I want to play my Jupiter 8! Hehe
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby IAA » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:31 am

Getting kinda frustrated I want to play my Jupiter 8! Hehe

That’s the thing I admire most - your pursuit of perfection rather than a short term “bodge” to let you play it. :clap:

I’m sure I’d want to play it so much I’d have mangled it good and proper :o !!

Looking forward to you playing it - please do a video of the big switch on.

Ian
IAA
Regular

Postby desmond » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:59 am

IAA wrote:Looking forward to you playing it - please do a video of the big switch on.

+1

Short of the one in the Roland museum, it's probably going to be one of the best condition JP8's on the planet...!
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby DarrenGlen » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:16 am

Thanks guys. Yep no compromise on this one I decided that from the start. Part of my deal with the wife was also that I could essentially “pay as I go” with this one because of the cheaper price I paid, I’m fairly confident I could buy a mint cond Jupiter 8 for the price it will end up costing me all in the end. But I don’t have that kind of money in a heap. So I’m funding it as I’m going, which is making it at all possible. And knowing that it’s all being done properly as well.

I have also refused to keep any kind of running tally of the costs as I’m going hehe it would probably scare me or cause me to compromise on some aspect (which I won’t) and cause the wife to tell me to stop!

Thanks for all the support I appreciate it. Especially when I get things going wrong (like it did last week ...major problems I’m going to post it soon)

Cheers!
Darren
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby DarrenGlen » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:57 am

I’ve just put up a new post explaining the powder coat disaster of the last few weeks.

https://jup8restoration.wordpress.com/2 ... -for-cora/

Cheers
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:43 am

Ow! That must have really hurt. So sorry for you.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:25 pm

DarrenGlen wrote:I’ve just put up a new post explaining the powder coat disaster of the last few weeks.

Oh, you poor man Darren - I hope no money changed hands with that asshole who totally messed up :madas:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby DarrenGlen » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:33 am

Yes and no Martin. I had been required to prepay $60 for the small job, originally requested beforehand. But at pickup he told me that there had been “$300 worth of work done on it, sandblasting costs $150 for starters...” and to talk about it with the woman in the front office. Kinda suggesting that there would be some deal done? I opened the door to the front office and said “tell him I won’t be paying a cent for something I didn’t ask to be done. He can call me if he has a problem with it.” Never got any call and I highly doubt he will try.

I kinda secretly hope he does call actually because I have a barrage of attacks and insults prepared that I held back on the day, due to the shock of the sight of my hard work having been erased. And then it will give me the opportunity to present him with the repair bill for his damage. I doubt it will happen tho I would have heard from him by now...
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:48 am

Ouch! When you're on a labour of love like this it's a real blow to have something like this happen. :(
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:15 pm

I must say I really think the T-shirts and mug are really cool!
Assuming you have a cellphone, were you aware that you can have custom cellphone cases made up? A Jupiter case would be pretty cool too.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:43 am

Some progress !!

https://jup8restoration.wordpress.com/2018/09/26/finally-new-powder-coating-success-for-cora/

Looks like darren is bouncing back - hope he'll be back here again soon :)
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:15 am

:clap: delighted to see this moving forward again. Well done Darren. Looking forward to seeing the decal printing process.

Dan
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:38 am

Really, really pleased to see this. I was quite angry when I read what had been done by the numpties previously. :thumbup:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:47 am

+1 This is a 'do the right thing' story and it is fascinating to watch it unfold. I am crossing my fingers for him.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

PreviousNext