You are here

Old Roland Jupiter 8 restoration

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Old Roland Jupiter 8 restoration

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:52 pm

That looks stunning! (finally ;) )

What a labour of love though :headbang:

Hope the next stages go far more smoothly :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby DarrenGlen » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:52 am

Thanks everyone for your comments ! Yep next post is about decal file finalizing .. specifically alignment testing...and I’ve convinced Jeff from Custom Synths that we should share the decal file with the world as well so there will be download!!!

Cheers !
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:54 pm

That's very good of you - not many people would do that :thumbup: :clap:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Postby The Elf » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:27 pm

This thread gets better every time! Good for you, mate. :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:31 am

Hear hear! :clap:
Martin Walker

Postby minime123 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:25 pm

great blog, though way too long for me to read right now considering i just discovered it so haven't read it in installments. looking forward to the decal part, please post soon! we have a jp8 in the closet that we're going to give a full facelift to once we find local shops that we trust to do this work. (we will be testing them out with lesser instruments like Star Instruments Synare 3s before we send them stuff of greater importance and higher value).
Mini
minime123
Regular
Vintage Synth Dealer
https://tonetweakers.com/

Postby DarrenGlen » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:45 am

Hi all, the latest post is up! This one is a biggie, it contains download files of the Jupiter 8 panel artwork!! Which can be used to re-screen print the panel decal if yours is scratched or rusted.

You can also now talk to Cora! She has her own Facebook group! She enjoys hearing your positive support during her progress and answers questions !

https://www.facebook.com/groups/359832781432431/

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Darren
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:55 am

Nice Work!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Folderol » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:17 am

I wish you hadn't used facebook - I never go there :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Postby The Elf » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:24 am

I loathe Facebook, but at least Darren is giving us prompts here on the forum.

Great progress! :clap: Keep up this fascinating work!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:43 pm

I've joined the Cora Facebook group, and therefore seem to be the odd one out :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:27 pm

You're not quite alone on there MW, I haven't joined Cora's group yet (my excuse is I'm a guitar player really) but I do use fb and while there is a lot of dross and far too many adverts I find it useful.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby desmond » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:46 pm

Note: If you edit the dropbox links to be "dl=1" instead of "dl=0", they'll be directly downloadable, rather than forcing the user to go to the dropbox page, and figure out how to download from there... :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby BigRedX » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:34 pm

DarrenGlen wrote:Hi all, the latest post is up! This one is a biggie, it contains download files of the Jupiter 8 panel artwork!! Which can be used to re-screen print the panel decal if yours is scratched or rusted.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Darren

As someone who creates print artwork for a living mostly doing things that are similar in concept to your JP8 graphics, I think you did make the job more difficult than it needed to be, but at least you got test prints done and were able to tweak your artwork to get an ultimately proper fit.

However I did wonder why you didn't use the CAD drawing of the panels that you created when it looked as though you were going to have get the top panel remade after the powder coating disaster, as your starting point and the photographs just for reference?
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby BJG145 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:13 pm

DarrenGlen wrote:You can also now talk to Cora! She has her own Facebook group! She enjoys hearing your positive support during her progress and answers questions !

O...K...

We've clearly moved on from cats and dogs. Glad to have caught up. ;)
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DarrenGlen » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:08 am

BigRedX wrote:
However I did wonder why you didn't use the CAD drawing of the panels that you created when it looked as though you were going to have get the top panel remade after the powder coating disaster, as your starting point and the photographs just for reference?

Fair question....
Because
A/i don’t own AutoCad or know how to use it, I only know how to bluff my way clumsily through Coreldraw
And
B/ a friend in the UK is doing the Top panel cad file for free for me after reading Cora’s sad plight he offered to help because he felt my pain. I’m just sending him pictures (hundreds of them) with digital calipers across every part of Cora and he’s doing the cad in his spare time!

The laser recut of the top panel may never happen if the original one turns out successfully im just keeping all options on the table at this point !

Cheers!
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby BigRedX » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:10 pm

DarrenGlen wrote:Fair question....
Because
A/i don’t own AutoCad or know how to use it, I only know how to bluff my way clumsily through Coreldraw
And
B/ a friend in the UK is doing the Top panel cad file for free for me after reading Cora’s sad plight he offered to help because he felt my pain. I’m just sending him pictures (hundreds of them) with digital calipers across every part of Cora and he’s doing the cad in his spare time!

The laser recut of the top panel may never happen if the original one turns out successfully im just keeping all options on the table at this point !

Cheers!

I see. That makes sense.

I had assumed from your previous posts that the CAD drawing had been completed in CorelDraw, when it appears that they are still a work in progress.

I would have still started by creating an accurate full-size drawing of the panels with all the cutouts for the sliders and other controls in your vector drawing program of choice. Mine would be Adobe Illustrator - I haven't used CorelDraw since 1990 but I expect that it has kept pace with Illustrator in the intervening years so it should be relatively trivial to do this.

I would have then ripped the vector file into Photoshop at 120 pixels/cm, and lined up the photograph(s) of the panel graphics on a separate layer and using the warp and/or distort transformation tools made sure that the photographs lined up exactly with the drawing. Then I would have removed the drawing and saved the modified photo to use as a template in my drawing program. That way I would have known that my final artwork file was 100% accurate first time.

I would have also got all of this done and checked before I sanded off the original graphics.

Still I can't help but be impressed by the results, and everything else you have done is way beyond what I am capable of. Looking forward to the next instalment.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Previous