You are here

Cleaning neutrik connectors

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Cleaning neutrik connectors

Postby hooty2 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:05 am

Hi...a maintenance question.
A number of my neutrik speakon connectors have developed a blue granular and white powdery deposit that stops the locking mechanism operating.
what is the best way to clean this and why has it happened ?
After removing the locking shell I wondered if I could soak them in something to dissolve the deposit?
Thanks in advance
hooty2
Regular

Re: Cleaning neutrik connectors

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:24 am

Pictures?

That doesn't sound very good. I would try calling the Neutrik agent for whichever part of the world you're in and discussing it with them as this sounds like a manufacturing problem.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby hooty2 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:49 am

Will attempt pics later today. Down with flu today.
Thanks
hooty2
Regular

Postby ef37a » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:00 am

Yes check with Neutrik but that sounds to me like you have bought Chinese copies. I have had dimensional problems with Maplin's XLRs, they jam in 50yr old Cannon socket plus the inners melt when you try to solder them!

I would bet the deposit would dissolve in boiling water ( wait until 'she' goes out before using one of her pans!) Then shake well and spray with WD-40.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby hooty2 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:27 pm

thanks both.

Neutrik kindly sent me a bag of replacement fittings as a goodwill...much appreciated.

The sliders on the suspect ones do seem to be of a slightly different material than those unaffected.....seems like some electrical event has caused the deposit when the cables were used in a damp place...
stored at home they enjoy better conditions than i do!

Sorry about lack of photo...the process defeated me....did get one off to neutrik and facebook group though.
hooty2
Regular

Postby ef37a » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:38 pm

Reesult!

Nukes are nice peoples, I had a 'funny' cable from Maplin, supposedly Neutrik plugs but patently were not.

I just sent them a scan of the package (needed the cable) and they sent me warm thanks and a 5 mtr SilentPlug guitar cable!

Restores your faith a bit don't it? There are people like Quad, CTH and Leak still around but VERY few!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby hooty2 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:52 pm

I will add B&W...albeit hifi.
My cdm6 crossover apparently employed a metal flux that had somehow hardened and hence failed. They sent me complete new crossover free of charge.....knowing I had owned them for many years.
The good feeling far outweighs the financial benefit...I expected to pay without question
hooty2
Regular