You are here

Is there a way to soundproof myself?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Is there a way to soundproof myself?

Postby garrettendi » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:39 am

Thanks Sam I'll take a look
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby LlamaLove » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:27 pm

So, no one has really an idea on how could I absorb the sound of my voice? Again, it doesn't have to be perfect...
LlamaLove
New here

Postby job » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:32 pm

I'm no singer but from what i understand proper singing technique is from the gut, so couldn't you practice said technique as a whisper so you get good at the technique but without the volume? Or would that not give any benefit?
job
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:42 pm

The problem with sound proofing is that sound travels very well through air. And that means that it will go around anything you devise to sing into, so your absorber idea can't work.

You could in theory make a helmet or box over your head that is sound proof but to make it work you need to make it airtight. And that means you would very quickly run out of oxygen. You might get through a short verse before taking it off again, but that's about it. Some small vocal booths have airtight doors and they have to open the door after every take to replenish the oxygen.

So the advice to negotiate a rehearsal time with your flatmates/neighbours or to find somewhere else to rehearse really is the best advice.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby LlamaLove » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:51 pm

job wrote:I'm no singer but from what i understand proper singing technique is from the gut, so couldn't you practice said technique as a whisper so you get good at the technique but without the volume? Or would that not give any benefit?
That's what I've been doing for a while, but it's not the best practice. Also, I need to do this mainly as a warm-up, and I like to warm up loud too, so volume is the main goal :D

zenguitar wrote:The problem with sound proofing is that sound travels very well through air. And that means that it will go around anything you devise to sing into, so your absorber idea can't work.

You could in theory make a helmet or box over your head that is sound proof but to make it work you need to make it airtight. And that means you would very quickly run out of oxygen. You might get through a short verse before taking it off again, but that's about it. Some small vocal booths have airtight doors and they have to open the door after every take to replenish the oxygen.

So the advice to negotiate a rehearsal time with your flatmates/neighbours or to find somewhere else to rehearse really is the best advice.

Isn't it possible to do that just around the mouth, and leave the nose out to breath? Is there a problem with the fact that mouth and nose are connected?

Also, I'm pretty much desperate at this point so the airtight helmet could actually work for me, even with the costant need to open it and close it for air, but I don't know what materials should I use, if I should use a helmholtz resonator etc. Any idea?
LlamaLove
New here

Postby zenguitar » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:28 am

If what you wanted was simple and affordable to do someone would already be trying to sell you a product that would do it.

You can't negotiate with the laws of physics. But you can negotiate with your flatmates/neighbours and you can negotiate with owners of studios & rehearsal facilities. I understand that you don't like the answers you are being offered, but that doesn't stop them being the right answers.

zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby LlamaLove » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:18 am

zenguitar wrote:If what you wanted was simple and affordable to do someone would already be trying to sell you a product that would do it.

You can't negotiate with the laws of physics. But you can negotiate with your flatmates/neighbours and you can negotiate with owners of studios & rehearsal facilities. I understand that you don't like the answers you are being offered, but that doesn't stop them being the right answers.

If someone would try to market a big and heavy soundproof helmet that you have to open every 3 seconds not to die asphyxiated he would go bankrupt, comfort and ease of use seem to me the big reasons something like this isn't on the market, along with low request for something this specific. Also, I never planned on violating the laws of physics, I provided one design that would work before and there is a product from MIT that I've linked that partially works, I don't think it works for low frequencies though.

I greatly appreciate all the answers, I really do, but I don't think they are the right ones because instead of facing a problem that is physically solvable (it is, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't, none has been provided), or at least to give it a shot, they try to go around it. Your ideas are good, are easy, they work, but they don't work for me, so I have to look for something else even though I don't like it.

Thanks everyone for your contributions, I'll be around if something new comes up ;)
LlamaLove
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:32 am

Please let us know how you get on, it's an interesting concept.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Matt Houghton » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:30 am

There's this, which mounts on a speaker stand that you need to buy separately: Isovox 2.

I found the Mk1 version felt claustrophobic, limited movement when singing, and was too coloured-sounding for recording purposes. There was some attenuation, though, so you could look into it, though I suspect it's not enough.

I've not tried the Mk2.

Of course, for this money, assuming you have space available, you could construct a very solid vocal booth DIY-style... Studio SOS: DIY Vocal Booth
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Jamie2000 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:45 am

Hello,

I am hoping I can help. Maybe it is best you see an example from start to finish of something being soundproofed?

I am currently soundproofing my garage at the moment. I have been taking many pictures of this project from start to finish, and even have video of the soundproofing effects.

I am actually converting my garage into a bar. I am bothered about soundproofing as I plan to be playing music through a Sonos wireless speaker system in there.

However, I must say, band instruments will be putting out much louder sounds then the speaker system I will be having. Reducing band noise is a challenge due to the amount of decibels it produces.

Visit this link to view the soundproofing carried out on my friends garage step by step. I will be uploading more pictures and videos in the future. It will give you a good idea of what you need to do, and the effect certain materials has on sound. https://www.wartonwoodworks.com/how-to-sound-proof-a-garage-or-bar

However, you will need to go even more over the top then this to significantly reduce band noise!

If you are going to give it a try, then I recommend the following tips:

- Have the mentality of building a room within a room, and isolating both rooms as much as possible.

- No windows is most ideal. If you do have windows, then go for windows designed for soundproofing. I believe windows that are thick and laminated offer the best soundproofing qualities.

- Buy a solid thick door, which is narrow in width, and smallest in height. My bar has a composite door which is not the most ideal regarding soundproofing. Solid thick doors mean more mass, and therefore more soundblocking qualities.

- A combination of materials of different density can help create a good soundblocking system. Materials with high mass are great at blocking or reflecting sound (image a ball bouncing of very dense plasterboard), whilst less dense materials are good at absorbing sound (imagine a ball hitting a dense rubber sheet).

Oh by the way, if you want to see the bar project from start to finish, you can view it here. https://www.wartonwoodworks.com/building-garden-bar-area/. Everyone loves a man cave.

Soundproofing can get mega expensive. But it really depends how over the top you go.
Good soundproofing is about understanding the science of sound, and creating a good plan to help stop it. Sound will always to the easiest route, and escape through gaps, doors and windows, sockets, vents, etc.

I hope this reply helps. Feel free to ask any questions about my project.

Kind regards,
Jay
Jamie2000

Previous