You are here

4 octave weighted keyboard

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

4 octave weighted keyboard

Postby Shindig » Sun May 13, 2018 12:10 pm

I'm looking for someone to build me a custom 4 octave weighted digital piano. I imagine this will be something cut down from an 88 or 76 note.

I can make a new wooden custom case, but I need someone to look after the overall design, and electronic aspect.

Anyone out there interested in this?
Shindig
Poster

Re: 4 octave weighted keyboard

Postby resistorman » Mon May 14, 2018 4:08 am

An interesting idea. Keyboards I’ve worked on have 3 or 4 circuit boards under the keys. You really wouldn’t want to cut those, so you would have to accept whatever that range turns out to be once you take out a couple.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby Martin Walker » Mon May 14, 2018 2:10 pm

Sounds like this is going to be an expensive project Shindig, especially if resistorman is correct and you have to abandon one or more 76/88-note keyboards to find one that's suitable for cutting down! :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Shindig » Mon May 14, 2018 11:02 pm

Yes, thanks for the reality hit resistorman!

I'm looking into trying a 49 key "semi-weighted" controller instead now. if the Akai MPK 249 feels ok, it would be perfect, because it has no wheels/sliders/pads at the side of the keyboard.

I could pair it with a classy iPad piano app, and a pair of bi-amped speakers...
Shindig
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue May 15, 2018 8:30 am

That sounds a lot more feasible Shindig! :clap:

Good luck!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Shindig » Mon May 21, 2018 4:28 pm

I've decided on an Akai MPK49, as it has no wheels, knobs or slides to the side of the keyboard, making it the narrowest option available.

And I've listened to most of the iPhone/ipad offerings, and I quite like ivory, ravenscroft and some from Colossus. I'm after a warm sounding instrument, ideally like a Bluthner, though that sort of sound doesn't seem to be in much demand these days...

The next thing is a pair of small active monitors, which I'll place on either side, facing upward (towards the ceiling), so I can hear as well as the audience. I could do with any suggestions for these - something compact, maybe not too bright, though I'm sure I can make adjustments in the app...

I've noticed the Genelec 8020Ds and KRK RP5s so far. Any thoughts on suitability?
Shindig
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon May 21, 2018 7:22 pm

Worth looking at the ilouds as well i'd suggest.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Shindig » Mon May 21, 2018 11:48 pm

Thanks blinddrew, I hadn't known about these

"the smallest active studio reference monitor system in the world, at just 180 x 135 x 90mm".

Definitely worth taking a look
Shindig
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue May 22, 2018 8:39 am

Don't expect miracles, the laws of physics still apply, but they've been well reviewed and i was very impressed when i heard them.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Shindig » Wed May 23, 2018 7:21 pm

Ok, now I've decided to install an active loudspeaker instead of using studio monitors. I'd use two, but on a 4 octave keyboard there won't really be much room!

This is so I can cart it to small pubs etc, and play with other acoustic instruments, without worrying about destroying the nearfields.

I've done a ton of research, looking for speakers that can do a quality sampled piano some justice, and decided on a single RCF TT08A. Though it will be the Mark II, just about to come out.

Just need to decide where to place it...
Shindig
Poster