You are here

How to make a nice smooth round shape in XLR cable when I coil it

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

How to make a nice smooth round shape in XLR cable when I coil it

Postby dennisgamalej » Fri May 25, 2018 12:51 pm

hello,
I have a question. When i coil my cables i do round loops but at the end it doesnt has a nice round shape but a very strange shape ( like an old cellphone effect). Can someone help me?

i have it like this https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aSyALv ... sp=sharing

with greets

dennisgamalej
Regular

Re: How to make a nice smooth round shape in XLR cable when I coil it

Postby Ramirez » Fri May 25, 2018 2:39 pm

Don't fight the cable - they almost always will coil into a circle if you follow the way it wants to go. Let it go underneath/other side of your coil if it want to - it'll get there neatly in the end unless there are obvious kinks in it.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby dennisgamalej » Fri May 25, 2018 2:57 pm

i try to do it smooth and nice. In the beginning its okey but after a times when i coil it it starts to coil in different shapes. I think its the iron in the cable but i dont know if i can fix it. On the picture is my result when i coil.
dennisgamalej
Regular

Postby Luke W » Fri May 25, 2018 3:10 pm

Cables can do this when there's a kink/twist and they try to follow that shape as they're being coiled up. Rolling the cable a little between your thumb and a finger as you coil it up helps it to naturally wrap itself into a circle, once you get used to the technique then they basically coil themselves :thumbup:

You'll have more luck with this one by running it through your hands to straighten it out completely first.
Luke W
Regular
Techie/Musician Of Sorts

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri May 25, 2018 4:22 pm

The trick is to give just enough twist to the cable with each loop, you are either not putting enough twist or too much. But, even if if you do it right, twisting each coil the same way (the 'normal' method) will result in you putting 6 or 8 twists in the cable that will remain when you uncoil and use it. Learn the under and over method which makes each loop with the opposite twist to the previous one and your cables will uncoil without twists or kinks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpuutP6Df84. It takes a little practice at first but soon becomes second nature.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Sat May 26, 2018 7:04 am

If you have a number of cables of decent lengths think about investing in some cable drums.

Makes running out cables and striking the site a lot quicker.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Sat May 26, 2018 10:41 am

I spent a life time (or so it seemed) telling roadies and tape ops that if they coil cable, they are out of a job. It wastes time. I did not pay roadies to waste time by playing silly games with cable!

The only time you should coil cable, is if you have a large drum and can wind on at least a dozen cables, linking them and then you are able to test all of them with one go. That's for on the road. In the studio, I allow folding only. Any well-meaning musicians who politely coil cables after a session, get all their cables undone, folded and a knot tied in them.

Coiled cables get knotted and tangled - folded cables (up to 10m) can be grabbed by the ends and thrown out without tangling, as long as the ends are one foot longer than the folds.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Brian M Rose » Sat May 26, 2018 11:31 am

+1 for using cable drums. I'm delighted to see the professionals agreeing to this. Working with well meaning volunteers, it always drove me mad having mic cables treated like washing line. I also put everything on cable drums. It saves tangles and broken connections, and it's so much easier to test multiple cables in one go.
Brian Rose
Radio Harrow
Brian M Rose
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat May 26, 2018 1:10 pm

Good to hear of somebody else who folds and knots cables RB, it is the quickest method and the simplest to teach novices. It's what we do with the PA company cables but I do still coil my own cables.......... I think it's just a little kinder to them, aesthetically more pleasing and the way I coil them, they never get knotted or tangled , my rig, my choice ;) That extra few inches on the tails is crucial if folding, and that's the bit novices seem to find hardest to grasp.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat May 26, 2018 2:42 pm

Folding cables? Is this where you put the ends together, then fold the remaining length in half and again until you are able to take what you've done and tie a giant knot with it?

If so I was always concerned that I would damage the cable even if the knot was pretty loose. Am I mistaken? :?:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby dennisgamalej » Sat May 26, 2018 2:44 pm

i did the "over over" method. I will try the over under method. No iv tried to coil a cable and when i coil it it hasnt a round smooth shape. And after a few times of coiling it starts to do twists. I think its a problem in the cable because when we bought our pa my dad coiled it with his elbow and because of that there are shapes in the cable. But i dont know how to put the shapes away.
dennisgamalej
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat May 26, 2018 3:32 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:Folding cables? Is this where you put the ends together, then fold the remaining length in half and again until you are able to take what you've done and tie a giant knot with it?

If so I was always concerned that I would damage the cable even if the knot was pretty loose. Am I mistaken? :?:

I had concerns too, and as I said I still coil my own cables "under and over" but I doubt you will do any harm unless you pull the knot very tight, the PA company have been doing it for 10 years and no failures yet (apart, obviously, from connectors/termination).

dennisgamalej wrote:i did the "over over" method. I will try the over under method. No iv tried to coil a cable and when i coil it it hasnt a round smooth shape. And after a few times of coiling it starts to do twists. I think its a problem in the cable because when we bought our pa my dad coiled it with his elbow and because of that there are shapes in the cable. But i dont know how to put the shapes away.

Smoothing them through your hands might help but it's likely that the lay of the conductors and screen has been disturbed so you may be fighting a losing battle. Over and over puts one full twist in the cable for each loop and they are all in the same direction so inevitably that will leave the cable twisted. It's better than the elbow but you have to untwist them periodically. Over and under puts each twist in the opposed direction so when you unroll the cable there is no residual twist. A couple of things to remember with U&O, when you've finished link the male and female XLRs together outside the coils and use either tape, elastic or velcro to secure them (if you stack them neatly and don't drop the case you can get away without taping them but the day you don't is the day you drop the case downstairs.....). When you next use the cable hold the connectors and throw the coil away from you, if you did it right out will uncoil flawlessly, if you passed the connectors inside the coil you'll have about 8 or 10 knots in the cable :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Dins4ever » Sat May 26, 2018 8:39 pm

+1 to RB
I'm all for folding and been telling folks this for years.
Coiled cables are hard to lay out and end up with kinks.
Dins4ever
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat May 26, 2018 9:13 pm

Dins4ever wrote:+1 to RB
I'm all for folding and been telling folks this for years.
Coiled cables are hard to lay out and end up with kinks.

Not if you coil them as I suggested..... But see above.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster