You are here

Pre-fab vocal booths

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Pre-fab vocal booths

Postby soulgreed returns » Fri May 25, 2018 11:54 pm

Just wondered if anyone had any good experiences with something like this in the uk.

I have space in a garage for something. Just a standard single garage which needs to house some motorbikes and tools so not huge amounts of space.

Main criteria is soundproofing as this would be for writing. We can always rerecord somewhere else with nice acoustics.

My gut feeling is that a prefab will take up less space than trying to diy something.

Any tips or past experiences here?

Must be a fairly common situation I'd imagine?
soulgreed returns
Poster

Re: Pre-fab vocal booths

Postby soulgreed returns » Sat May 26, 2018 12:17 am

Something like this perhaps [url]https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/studiobricks-one/[url]

4k seems to be the going rate. I think extortionate, about the same as one of the bikes, but if thats what it is...
soulgreed returns
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat May 26, 2018 9:33 am

They're expensive because soundPROOFING is really difficult. Sound TREATMENT can be done effectively for not a lot of cash if you're fairly competent at DIY.
But soundproofing requires mass and making things airtight. Only you can decide how much that's worth, but as one of the experts in these parts might say: soundproof, cheap, pick one.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby soulgreed returns » Sat May 26, 2018 10:31 am

Yeah, i understand the physics, and I’m not expecting buttons, but is there anything else out there? At 3k maybe ? :bouncy:
soulgreed returns
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat May 26, 2018 12:19 pm

Have you got a concrete floor? It may be cheaper to build a block room with multiple layers of plasterboard ceiling and a decent door (used maybe). A quick google suggests blockwork costs around £20/sq metre so a 2 x 2 metre booth will cost about £400, plus the roof/ceiling, a door and some acoustic treatment so maybe £1k total. It will probably be as effective as the 'studio bricks' booth but, obviously, is not a tested solution and won't look as professional.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby soulgreed returns » Sat May 26, 2018 6:18 pm

Thanks Sam. Yes, its a concrete floor. An internal blockwork room wasnt something I’d considered but might be an option. Or i could build something external which would mean space isn’t an issue.

There an advantage to the pre fab as it could be moved later but at 4k it pushes the diy option up the list a bit.

We've built a whole garage elsewhere so that might be an option...
soulgreed returns
Poster