You are here

Room acoustics - high/mid frequencies too high and bass too low

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Room acoustics - high/mid frequencies too high and bass too low

Postby noah1818 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:12 pm

Hello,
I have just built a small home studio. I had the acoustics planned by a professional. The room is 4m deep and 3m wide, ceiling is 3m high.
After mixing a bit and listening to classics i feel the mid high mid frequencies are a little sharp and I miss a bit of low end.
Does anybody know if i can correct this by applying some kind of EQ to my systems output? (Apollo Mkii thunderbolt interface)
I know that bass response is difficult in a small room, but if anyone has some insight on how to improve theses issues it would be great!
Thanks!
noah1818

Re: Room acoustics - high/mid frequencies too high and bass too low

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:36 pm

Apologies if you've already tried this, but one of the first things to do is try moving your listening position. In a small room it doesn't take much movement to go from a bass node to an anti-node. Higher frequencies are easier to sort once you've got your low end somewhere acceptable.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:39 am

noah1818 wrote:Hello,
I have just built a small home studio. I had the acoustics planned by a professional. The room is 4m deep and 3m wide, ceiling is 3m high.
After mixing a bit and listening to classics i feel the mid high mid frequencies are a little sharp and I miss a bit of low end.
Does anybody know if i can correct this by applying some kind of EQ to my systems output? (Apollo Mkii thunderbolt interface)
I know that bass response is difficult in a small room, but if anyone has some insight on how to improve theses issues it would be great!
Thanks!

As Drew says, move the chair a little first. Something to explore before piling up more panels is that mid levels could be due to excessive absorption of HF (a dulled room), so removing some of the HF panels could make the room a little more lively and help balance it.

For bass frequencies, if you feel the bass is uniformly low it seems more an issue with your monitoring system than the room itself ? Bass issues usually manifest themselves more as different notes having different volumes at a given listening position, due to the interference with the reflected energy (which is practically omnidirectional and bounces back from every wall) either cancelling or reinforcing them. Besides trapping the bass energy - so that it does not reflect back towards the listening position - a way to reduce the problem is actually not to have too much energy in the first place. You don't get the chest-thumping bass that way though, but you can feel it on the monitor cones.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:14 pm

An oft-quoted optimum listening distance is 38%

If you can place your listening position 38% of the room's length from the front, you're likely to get the most balanced room response before you start adding acoustic treatment.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby jaminem » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:37 am

I'd be asking the 'professional' who set it up before doing ANYTHING tbh.
surely if you've paid him, you must have some comeback....?
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:23 pm

Don't go by 'feel'. I'd first try measuring the speaker response at your listening position. What you are used to may be very different from a flat (or reasonably flat) response.

What did the professional actually do? Did they visit the room, take measurements, install the treatment and then re-measure afterwards?

Or did they simply sell you a package of foam treatment etc. and suggest where to put it?

Having two dimensions the same isn't ideal for a studio, so it's always going to be compromised, and it isn't really big enough to do much about.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.