You are here

Mini deoxit sprayer?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Mini deoxit sprayer?

Postby BillB » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:58 pm

Hi folks, I am planning to try some deoxit application to some of the tactile switches in an old synth (SY77) which don’t respond as well as they might. I could replace them but thought I would try deoxit first, as they all basically function OK, but some could be more responsive.

So I am looking for ways to deliver small amounts of deoxit into the switches, without using the full pressure of the can and losing half a teaspoon full with every press. I wondered whether they was any mini sprayer/injector that the wise folk hereabouts might use (or know about) when wishing to apply small amounts of liquid, but under some pressure.

Google and Ebay have not turned up anything yet, but I could have been using the wrong search terms. Mini perfume misters are close, but I don’t want a mist, I want a jet.

Any ideas?
BillB
Regular

Re: Mini deoxit sprayer?

Postby zenguitar » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:02 pm

How about using a small syringe?

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby BillB » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:04 pm

Sounds like a plan. I’ll do a search and see what comes up.
BillB
Regular

Postby BillB » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:43 pm

Most of the syringes generally available have wide plastic nozzles so would not make much of a jet, but this looks like it might be perfect:
https://datazonedirect.com/products/2ml ... ermination

I’ll get some and report back.

Thanks, Andy :thumbup:
BillB
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:56 pm

BillB wrote:Most of the syringes generally available have wide plastic nozzles so would not make much of a jet,

not if you have a needle on it

but this looks like it might be perfect:
https://datazonedirect.com/products/2ml ... ermination

I’ll get some and report back.

Thanks, Andy :thumbup:

Ah, yes, that'll do it :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby zenguitar » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:26 pm

:thumbup:

I have some old syringes from inkjet refills that I kept. But over the years I have also kept small syringes that have been used to deliver liquid medicines so that I can deliver several small doses into a drink. From GP prescriptions or hosital for myself or from the vet for poorly pets.

Once cleaned it's easy to pop a needle on them and they are really useful for all sorts or repairs.

Small screw top glass jars come in really useful as well. You can squirt the Deoxit/Super Servisol 10/WD40 into one using the straw supplied and have a small supply to use with the syringe that you can keep preserved for future use.

On a larger scale I have filled jam jars with a few cm of WD40 to soak rusted/corroded bridge parts overnight to free them. And if you have access to an ultrasound tank you can drop the parts in the sealed bottle in the tank to really get them free and clean ;)

Glad I could help :)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:04 am

Who needs air freshener when WD40 is around? :D :D
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:10 am

WD40 now does a range of other useful sprays, including a de-oxit style contact cleaner (without lubricant unlike Servisol). These come with a useful swivelled 'straw'-style applicator for spraying in confined areas, and this can be swung down out of the way for the normal aerosol can-style wider spray. Much neater than the plastic straw and rubber-band solution that you get with Servisol, as the straw invariably disappears within a week or so.

So there is now a WD40 that is safe to use on electronics.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby BillB » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:22 am

Yes, I have noticed the better-designed applicators on spray cans like WD40 and Deoxit, but I am too mean to buy a smart new can when the old ones are still 70% full!

I found more syringe options on Amazon. The trick is to search for "blunt syringe". Lots of options.
BillB
Regular

Postby Wonks » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:42 am

I have bought 'large' syringe needles on eBay before - around 1.2mm diameter - for the purposes of steaming a neck joint apart (which I luckily didn't have to do in the end).
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby BillB » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:06 am

Wonks wrote: for the purposes of steaming a neck joint apart

Knowing you are a guitarist, that's not quite as bad as it first sounds :headbang:
BillB
Regular

Postby Wonks » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:11 pm

The WD40 freed the rusted bolts enough for Igor to undo them and get the head off. ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster