You are here

Wanted: Amcron/Crown 300a Amplifier

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Wanted: Amcron/Crown 300a Amplifier

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:36 pm

donmarrese wrote:I have a 303 in fact I've had several... And I always sell them on... For me they don't come anywhere near the Tresham/Tannoy or and Amcron amps.

Not really surprising when you're comparing a 50W /8Ohm amp with others producing 150-250W /8Ohms!

The Quad 303 was quite outstanding in its day, compared to its peers at the time, and is still a creditable amp whenused with high sensitivity speakers (with a gentle impedance curve) or at relatively low listening levels -- but it's obviously not on a par with hefty MosFET monsters like the Tannoy... Or a Krell, or a Bryston...

...reason: a thread starts and so many times, it goes off at a tangent with a dialogue that has nothing to do with the core of the actual thread .....so he doesn't bother with forums....

Happens everyday in normal real life discussions too, I find...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Trevor Johnson » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:24 pm

Yes, apologies to the OP about going off at a tangent. The truth is that well engineered amps will always fetch good money because they can be fixed quite easily (with the exception of obtaining some rather rare Japanese mosfets). Even if the original amp has been destroyed, albeit unlikely, you can always use the case to build a new one in, as many people have done with 405s, etc..

Off tangentially again. I have a 303, a very late dark grey model with an IEC mains socket. I bought it from a well know Hi-Fi supplier, but on inspection and without powering up (!), found that one of the PSU electrolytics was short circuit and the right amplifier HT supply physically broken. Anyway, they were very good about it and gave me the money for new PSU caps; much less expensive than carriage back and forth! I fixed a few more things and it is a lovely amp, very clever circuit design, but as Hugh said, you need the right speakers to match it.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby donmarrese » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:12 pm

Actually, I might as well go off at a tangent myself..what the
heck, join the club...
I do have an Amcron 300a that has blown an output transistor...can anyone recommend a electronics engineer to repair...has to be local as it weighs a bit..I'm based in North London...got some other bits to sort as well, like a quad 33 pre...and a valve amp..do you guys have a favourite repair guy?
Cheers

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
donmarrese
Poster

Postby donmarrese » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:57 pm

Anyone?

donmarrese
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:14 pm

I think that Funky Junk have their own repair department but I'm sure that there are plenty of others. I know someone in Wembley who might be able to look at it.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby donmarrese » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:31 pm

Thank you all due respect to funky junk they aren't they are not how do you say competitive with the pricing thanks for the heads up anyway

donmarrese
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:34 pm

I don't know anyone in the N.London area I'm afraid, but you could ask KMR for a recommendation.

As for the Quad 33, it would be worth contacting Quad themselves in Huntingdon. They offer a servicing facility which is very affordable and return the product in superb condition. Always gains very good feedback amongst the classic hi-fi fraternity.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby donmarrese » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:35 pm

Yes, I was considering a run up the M11...been there before...cheers

donmarrese
Poster

Postby donmarrese » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi James Perret, got in contact with michael maurice, you gave me link to his website... After a load of phone calls and emails the guy couldn't remember who I was or what I wanted so I gave up on him.... I'm sure it's been good to other people but for me, a waste of my time.
No reflection on yourself but thanks for the pointer it could have gone the other way..

donmarrese
Poster

Postby Phil Ward » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:09 pm

All this Amcron DC300A talk takes me back to my early 1980s Mordaunt-Short speaker design engineer days. Bear with me, it's relevant :-)

One of my regular jobs back then was to analyse voice-coil wire and voice-coil to cone adhesives for temperature stability. One way of doing this was to blast DC through the coil and measure the resistance increase – from which the temperature of the coil could be derived with reasonable accuracy. We'd hang a weight off the voice-coil so it was pretty obvious when the adhesive began to soften.

The only snag was that we didn't own a decent variable DC power supply – well we didn't until we hit on the idea of plugging a 1.5V battery into the input of the Amcron DC300A that we used for speaker pink noise power testing. It worked perfectly. The DC300A never broke, or ever expressed even the mildest complaint, and I've respected it ever since as a really classy and basically unburstable example of power amp design.

P
Phil Ward
Regular
Freelance audio product designer/writer: https://musicandmiscellany.com Hi-Fi Prints: https://audio-icons.com

Postby ef37a » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:40 pm

Crazy days Phil! So, the lab did not have/could not afford a decent DC supply but you COULD run to a top grade amplifier and moreover were prepared to risk abusing it!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Phil Ward » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:51 pm

ef37a wrote:Crazy days Phil! So, the lab did not have/could not afford a decent DC supply but you COULD run to a top grade amplifier and moreover were prepared to risk abusing it!

Dave.

Errrr, yeah, you could put it like that, but I like to see it as a triumph of pragmatism and a really cool power amplifier :-)

P
Phil Ward
Regular
Freelance audio product designer/writer: https://musicandmiscellany.com Hi-Fi Prints: https://audio-icons.com

Previous