You are here

Can Belden 1694A RG6 cable be used as wordclock cable?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Can Belden 1694A RG6 cable be used as wordclock cable?

Postby Uncle Freddie » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi,

My studio wordclock cables are all Apogee Wyde-Eye, which I have been very happy with.

Now I have a need for some long wordclock cables; I am being quoted a very high price of $140 per cable for Wyde-Eye cables of 30 feet (9m).

Then it dawned on me that I already have a spool of bulk RG6 cable: Belden 1694A "HDTV Precision Video Cable".

This cable is designed for HDTV video and is 75 ohms, the same as wordclock. On the cable sheath itself is printed "4.5GHz" which I presume is the bandwidth spec. As far as I know, Belden 1694A is some of the highest quality RG6 cable available.

So my question is: can this Belden 1694A RG6 cable be used as wordclock cable?

Thanks,
Fred

PS

The specs printed on the spool are:

Belden CDT
1694A
75 Ohm Brilliance(R)
HDTV Precision Video Cable
18 AWG (82 sqmm)
Duofoil(R) Shielded
(UL) Type CMR
(UL) Type CMG
Uncle Freddie
Poster

Re: Can Belden 1694A RG6 cable be used as wordclock cable?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:53 pm

Assuming you can fit the correct BNCs, yes.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:01 pm

I can see no reason why that cable should not be perfect?

Just for the craic I once ran S/PDIF over 50mtrs of UHF TV co ax downlead, worked a treat.

It uses a solid inner conductor of course but TV flyleads were the same and very rarely broke. If you have never soldered BNC plugs before you are in for some fun or you could cheat and fit chunky RCAs (Nukies do nice ones) and use RCA/BNC adaptors. Maybe Hugh can tell us if the probable mismatch will matter?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Uncle Freddie » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:08 pm

Thank you both. I have a crimp tool for F-type connectors, but not BNC connectors, so I was planning to buy a BNC crimp tool, probably a Canare. And I want to use Canare BNC connectors.

The center conductor is solid copper. It is noticeably thick, per the RG6 spec. I *should* be able to crimp a BNC connector on this, right?

Thanks,
Fred
Uncle Freddie
Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:25 pm

Never crimped BNCs but I have soldered a few and bigger RF connectors. The factory had a variety of soldering tools. One was a resistance heater, cool thing to use but got B hot!

Mind you all BNC and related connectors use PTFE insulators I think? You can just go raving mad with the heat with those but ONLY if the cable is PTFE as well.

Soldering should not be too difficult if you have good eyes* and trim the cable parts precisely to the instructions. Some extra flux can help.

*After a recent "soldering experience" I am going to put my exploits in DIY, mainly for those that THINK they can't solder and have given up trying.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:41 pm

Uncle Freddie wrote:The center conductor is solid copper. It is noticeably thick, per the RG6 spec. I *should* be able to crimp a BNC connector on this, right?

You should, yes, but only if you have the right type of BNC plug for that type of cable. The correct matching dimensions are critical when crimping. E.G. http://cpc.farnell.com/neutrik/nbnc75bt ... dp/CN16548

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Uncle Freddie » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:05 am

Thanks Hugh, as always, for a marvelous solution.

-Fred
Uncle Freddie
Poster