You are here

My Sennheiser e945 has died !??!???

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

My Sennheiser e945 has died !??!???

Postby Mac the Naif » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:40 pm

Yesterday I was checking before a gig when I realized my microphone didn’t make any sound, (either hiss, crackling...). I always keep it in its bag, and carry it in a backpack with fragile things and apart from a minor scratch it was in mint condition and performed as greatly as supposed till then. Obviously I made the common swaps between channels, cables, etc. until I could borrow a friend’s 57 and confirm it was the microphone.
I opened it, removed the cartridge and there is no evidence of loose cables, burnt electronics... the XLR looks ok. What makes me feel more confused is the fact that there is no kind of sound or noise from it.
Any help?
Mac the Naif
Poster
"Musical people always want one to be perfectly dumb at the very moment when one is longing to be perfectly deaf" (Oscar Wilde)

Re: My Sennheiser e945 has died !??!???

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:47 pm

Sounds like the capsule has died. Unusual, but possible. Maybe a voice coil wire has broken. Contact Sennheiser for service. It will probably need a new capsule.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mac the Naif » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:39 pm

Thanks, Hugh. Quite strange taking into account when it has never fell or been hit :(, but obviously the most probable reason. The problem is that if that would be the fault I assume it won’t be worthy buhing a new one instead of a new microphone.
Mac the Naif
Poster
"Musical people always want one to be perfectly dumb at the very moment when one is longing to be perfectly deaf" (Oscar Wilde)

Postby Mac the Naif » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:45 pm

How could I confirm its the capsule by my own?
Mac the Naif
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:26 am

Ideally, with an AC impedance tester. A few multimeters have that function, but most don't.

The next best option is to check for continuity with the resistance mode of a standard multimeter. The potential issue here is that this is a DC check which will cause the diaphragm of a working capsule to hit the end stop... which could damage it. It could also partially magnetise the capsule, affecting its ongoing performance.

However, given that it looks like yours is broken, it's probably worth the risk.

Nevertheless, if were me, I'd test the mic in stages to avoid running current through the capsule until everything else was checked out.

So, (assuming it is out of warranty) dismantle the mic, and test continuity from XLR pin 2 to the appropriate side of the capsule, and then from the other side of the capsule to pin 3 -- just in case a wire or crimp/solder joint has failed. If that all seems good, check the continuity across the capsule itself. I'd expect a measurement of a few tens of Ohms, but if a lead out wire has broken you'll get an open circuit.

This all assumes there is no output transformer in the mic body.... if there is, you'll need to check the wiring from XLR to transformer, and then separately from transformer to capsule. Again, DC-testing a transformer isn't the greatest move, but it's less risky than DC testing a capsule!

As to the original cause of the failure, it's probably going to be impossible to say. Moving-coil capsules are generally extremely robust, but assembly errors and metal-fatigue do occur from time to time. Another potential cause might be if you were using an incorrectly wired cable on a phantom powered system, and so running a DC current through the voice-coil for hours on end. Most would cope with that -- and the sound should have been noticeably bass-light -- but that could cause voice-coil failure in some cases.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mac the Naif » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:55 pm

Thanks, Hugh.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/F1aCJZgkVoKwMnbn6

Hope you see the pic.

Pins 2 and 3 show continuity with M+2 red and M-1 blue as expected. But on the other hand I just read continuity when probing on M-1 and both pins that come from the coil. Where should the red wire show continuity from? No red from the third pin at the coil.

Again, thanks for your help.
Mac the Naif
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:21 pm

From looking at images of replacement capsules it looks like the whole of the black plastic section would be replaced if you went for a replacement capsule. You can buy an almost certainly fake replacement for just over £13 on Ebay - it would almost certainly be better to see if Sennheiser can supply a genuine replacement though.

The coil that you can see in your picture is the hum-bucking coil - not the coil that actually produces the audio signal.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Mac the Naif » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:39 pm

I guess buying a cheapo capsule just makes a crappy microphone look like a great Sennheiser. Or perhaps I’m not understanding what your saying (English is not my nother tongue)
A whole original capsule might be the best choice, provided it wasn’t too pricy. But I guess it is and would bxe better to buy a new one.
Mac the Naif
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:28 pm

Mac the Naif wrote:I guess buying a cheapo capsule just makes a crappy microphone look like a great Sennheiser. Or perhaps I’m not understanding what your saying (English is not my nother tongue)

Yes - that's pretty much what I meant. I would have hoped that Sennheiser would also sell spare capsules but their spares website doesn't list them. I guess the only alternative would be to contact Sennheiser to see if they will repair the mic at a cost less than a new one.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Mac the Naif » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:07 am

I’ve always loved Sennheiser and had no issues working with their microphones, IEs, headphones. For my taste far beyond Shures, AKG... at same range when talking about common use and no rival when going wireless.
But in case the problem was with the capsule I would feel quite uneasy buying a replacement (which means 90% of the core product, not just a housing or grill) and worry if it would die again for no reason after paying probably more than 50% of the product. Apart from a scratch in the paint in the connector side made by the bass player (I wanted to kill him) with a stone wall, this microphone was pampered. Always stored with no moisture, never used under rain, smoke, no dents, falls... This issue has made me feel quite uncomfortable.
Mac the Naif
Poster