You are here

Snake oil?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Snake oil?

Postby Phunky » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:19 pm

Hi,

Skip to 8:45 in the video linked below and you'll see some strange poles with ice hockey pucks attached. They are supposed to work wonders for the sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr8O_jZhpl4

Here's what the manufacturer has to say about the product:
http://www.shunmook.com/hifiproduct_4.html

I assume that it's snake oil. Please don't tell me that I'm wrong :headbang:

Cheers
Phunky
Regular
http://www.jesperbuhl.com

Re: Snake oil?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:57 pm

:beamup: Astonishing what the hifi world believes...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby blinddrew » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:25 pm

WTF?

::: checks date isn't 1 April :::

WTF?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:02 am

I'm STILL surprised at the proportion of pages hi-fi magazines (even the more respected ones like Hi-Fi News) devote to reviews of cables, eulogising about the sonic improvements they make, and insisting that at least 10% of a hi-fi system's budget should be spent on said cables :headbang:

But then if you count up the number of pages of paid advertising for said products in such magazines, perhaps I shouldn't be so surprised :smirk:

Cynical? Moi? :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:26 am

Don't all proffesional recording studios use Mpingo discs??

It literally brings the music hall into ones listening room as though the walls have disappeared

Why do we spend money on real acoustic treatment - when a few circular blocks of wood will fix everything" ;)
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:17 am

Here's the 'technical report' on the discs. http://www.shunmook.com/explained/HK-TN ... %20-LH.pdf
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Luke W » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:40 am

Wow. :?

That's all I've got.
Luke W
Regular
Techie/Musician Of Sorts

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:24 am

Now I see where I've been going wrong with this Rockwool. Page 4 of the technical report refers to 'Divine Wood'. My Rockwool clearly lacks the required divinity.

There was me thinking that I should employ an Acoustic Consultant when what I really need is a Priest. :angel:
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:36 am

OK. I've just been doing some research into 'Divine Wood'. Now I need to delete my browser history :blush:
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:44 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Phunky » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:31 pm

Scrolled through a couple of reviews and the general consensus among the audiophiles seems to be that the discs are "room resonators" :lol:
Phunky
Regular
http://www.jesperbuhl.com

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Yep, that's exactly what they claim in the technical PDF Wonks linked to.

The theory still seems bizarre, but they appear to be designed to add resonant energy to the room to even out any existing resonances and add liveliness to the room (the opposite of absorption).

I've got a radiator that does that if I'm not too careful! :headbang:

(but only of course at ONE frequency, so nowhere near as effective as the Mpingo discs :beamup: ;) )

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Wonks » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:51 pm

So they are really the opposite of room treatment, and increase reverberation times and harmonics. Lovely.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:02 pm

Wonks wrote:So they are really the opposite of room treatment, and increase reverberation times and harmonics. Lovely.

Exactly, and that leaves the engineering types among us feeling rather rattled ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:09 pm

I reckon it's a real bargain... a basic kit only costs around £1k... I'd gladly offer both my kidneys for such a glaringly obvious improvement to the sound of my humble speakers and listening room.
Nurse... I think the medication's wearing off again...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Luke W » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:17 pm

I didn't read enough to find a price, but I had a suspicion they'd be more money than a decent amount of some useful acoustic treatment.

I'm clearly in the wrong line of work.
Luke W
Regular
Techie/Musician Of Sorts

Postby Logarhythm » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:52 pm

I read the FSA's Brexit consultation documents at work the other day and thought it was bizarre, but this paper is undoubtedly the weirdest thing I've read in a long time.
The placement was particularly fantastic - small wooden discs that just sit on the floor in front of the speakers, so you, your kids, friends, pets etc can repeatedly trip over £thousands worth of precious little wooden discs, mess up their orientation and ruin the room resonance.
What I'd really like to see next is a similar "scientific" paper on the effect of placing one on top of your mains plug / speaker connections as per suggested placements 5 and 6.
Can't wait to read Hugh's review in a forthcoming edition of SoS :bouncy:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby Dr R » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:25 pm

From the manufacturer's website:
A simple test by yourself or your clients is to hold the disc with the Chinese logo up or down in one’s palm and feel the weight. Flip the disc over and weigh it the other way, you will feel the logo side down is heavier then the other way. Why?
This is crazy, nothing is added, same disc. There is an energy flowing through the disc to your palm that is enhanced within the ebony. The energy from your palm is the aura of your body that is reacting to the disc energy.
For a male human the aura flows out of your left hand and flow towards your right hand, while for a female its the other way around. The disc is not as simple as it looks and there is a complex process involved in the making of it.

:?
Dr R
Regular
My ambition: To one day have enough experience to answer technical questions on the SOS forums, as well as asking them 

Postby garrettendi » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:59 am

Dr R wrote:From the manufacturer's website:
A simple test by yourself or your clients is to hold the disc with the Chinese logo up or down in one’s palm and feel the weight. Flip the disc over and weigh it the other way, you will feel the logo side down is heavier then the other way. Why?
This is crazy, nothing is added, same disc. There is an energy flowing through the disc to your palm that is enhanced within the ebony. The energy from your palm is the aura of your body that is reacting to the disc energy.
For a male human the aura flows out of your left hand and flow towards your right hand, while for a female its the other way around. The disc is not as simple as it looks and there is a complex process involved in the making of it.

:?

FFS :o

I'm the first to admit I'm far from experienced, but how do people fall for that? Sounds like a pretty good scam.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
Despite my post count, I know nothing. Think of me as the court jester!

Postby jaminem » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:00 am

you've all totally missed the point as usual...

You simply place 3 disks on any of your hifi equipment (as the technical paper quite clearly states) in a triangular pattern. When this disc is excited by any external acoustic energy, it will resonate throughout the entire audible spectrum, thus overriding unwanted harmonic distortions and at the same enriching the musical reproduction

Seriously guys, if we were all like you, the human race would still be living in caves. You have to push the envelope, and not be blind to such amazing technical advances.

I'm in and ready to hear a wonderful change in my Hi fi system.
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Next