You are here

A good book on building a studio - recommendations please!

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: A good book on building a studio - recommendations please!

Postby blinddrew » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:39 pm

Cheers Wonks, I shall have a play around at someone when the better half is out.
I do mix at a standard level (ish) because I aim for a consistent level at my dummy master bus and use a consistent level on my speaker amp and headphones knob. But I suspect it's quite a bit lower than that.
Anyway, back on topic... :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:35 pm

Wonks wrote:The K-meter standard for monitor mixing is 83dB SPL, C weighted, at the mixing position for one speaker (85dB for both speakers but it's better to do one at a time), with a pink noise source which is film industry standard mixing level as it should be similar to playback levels in movie theatres.

True enough, and this kind of standardisation between dubbing theatres and cinemas is obviously of critical importance in making sure that the audience experiences the film as intended. It's also important in professional recording studios where a project may be moved between different studios possibly on different continents during its production, and having standardised monitoring conditions is important in ensuring mix consistency. But these are almost always very large rooms (particularly film dubbing rooms).

In your average spare-bedroom or converted garage home studio, a reference level of 83dBC is usually painfully and stupidly loud, and I really wouldn't recommend it! I wrote a detailed article on setting up monitors here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/establishing-project-studio-reference-monitoring-levels

... and it includes a table of recommended reference levels for different sized rooms which I commend to this house! In a typical British sized home project studio I'd suggest a reference level of closer to 77-79dBC, and even lower for the spare box room!

As an aside, when I align a room I only calibrate one speaker to the appropriate reference level. The others are adjusted by ear to get the phantom centre image in the right place!

Using a standard monitor level ensures that you are hearing the same mix each time you go back to a session, as different volume levels can result in different perception of EQ and even perceived pitch.

Yep, that's the key to it -- having a local reference level that you always use. It's like having a standard template in your DAW which helps you always start a project with the right facilities in the right place.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby blinddrew » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:11 pm

Cheers Hugh, I shall give that a read.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Happy Birthday to me...
Master Handbook of Acoustics turned up today. Should keep me busy for a while. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:40 pm

Yep, Christmas will just fly by with that to plough through! :D
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Watchmaker » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:30 pm

Every single time I persue these forums I find something of value and interest. Too bad I'm at work and can't readily book mark this. At least I can look it up later from the control panel.

Geniuses, every last one of you.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:38 pm

Watchmaker wrote:Every single time I persue these forums I find something of value and interest. Too bad I'm at work and can't readily book mark this.

Hope you didn't get ticked off for browsing at work Watchmaker

(geddit - ticked off/watchmaker?)

Oh please yourselves then :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:05 pm

Is this your coat?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:39 pm

Does it look second-hand and have a minute tear on the sleeve?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Previous