You are here

Control Room window design - use of desiccant/silica gel

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Control Room window design - use of desiccant/silica gel

Postby SH198 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:27 pm

Good afternoon...

We are in the final stages of a garage conversion to a home studio. We have a double stud wall arrangement and need to fill in the gap between the walls where the control room window is.

I have read a few helpful articles about this and have a method in mind. One of the recommendations I have read is to include some desiccant in the in-fill in order to guard against any possible condensation that could occur.

Has anyone got experience of this?

Looking for recommendations of type of desiccant to use and how to apply it please?

At the most basic I could buy a bundle of those tiny packets of silica gel that come in packaging and insert them under the top layer of insulation... but not sure how useful this will be in the long run!

Hopeful somebody can helpful advise... thanks!!

Sarah
SH198
New here

Re: Control Room window design - use of desiccant/silica gel

Postby James Perrett » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:59 pm

It is standard practice to use desiccant in sealed windows in order to capture any moisture present when the sealed units were manufactured. However, if your window isn't totally sealed the desiccant will soon absorb as much water from the air as it can and then cease to work. I've not used dessicant in my studio windows in any of my studio builds.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby SH198 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:15 pm

Thanks so much for responding James. Have you ever had any problems with condensation in a control room window?
SH198
New here

Postby Wonks » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:21 pm

If the window is between two internal spaces (control room and live room), and the spaces are kept reasonably warm, i.e. above 15°C, then you shouldn't get any condensation issues at all.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby James Perrett » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:38 am

SH198 wrote:Have you ever had any problems with condensation in a control room window?

No - but my studios have usually been kept at a reasonable temperature and my current studio is set to never go below 12 degrees.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:49 am

Should you get condensation problems you can buy very low power, 100W, tubular heaters. A 1mtr one under the window would keep damp at bay even if you cannot keep the room warm enough all the time.

They go by various names, "piano heater" "Damp Chaser". Note, you do not want the much bigger diameter, ~50mm, "greenhouse" heaters they are 500W and up. Lekky bills!!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:32 am

I have a 40 watt one in my little store room adjacent to the workshop. Seems to do enough to keep damp at bay.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby SH198 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:15 pm

Thanks so much all for your replies!
SH198
New here