You are here

Intermittent Neutrik Female plug?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Intermittent Neutrik Female plug?

Postby MarkOne » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:13 pm

Had a weird one today...

Had an SM58 going intermittent on one of our singers. It was quite easy to get the mic to cut out by wiggling the (Neutrik) female plug in the end of the mic. Replaced the cable and all was well, completely solid. Checked the cable on a cable tester and it shows three lights. wiggling the cable vigorously doesn't cause an intermittent warning on the tester, had the plug apart and examined the joints. Again fine. I'm now suspecting the pins in the shell are somehow not gripping tightly enough on the pins in the SM58, but are on the socket in the cable tester.

Any one else come across something like this? Guessing I should just replace the female plug and have done with it.

I'm a bit annoyed as I went to the effort of getting cables with Neutriks and paying the extra. and these are less than a year old (and don't get hammered - only used once a week)
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Re: Intermittent Neutrik Female plug?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:04 pm

Assuming the connectors really are Neutrik's (there are some very convincing fakes out there!), it could be an issue with the male plug on the mic being slightly out of spec. I've also had problems occasionally where the female connector hasn't latched properly, allowing unwanted movement. Sometimes removing or adjusting the sealing o-ring helps.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Intermittent Neutrik Female plug?

Postby ef37a » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:48 am

I too have had problems with certain XLR connectors.

Some Maplin male 3 pin plugs would jam in an old RS "Cannon" socket. Very well! Gas pliers job to remove.

I also found the plastic pin matrix would melt under normal Lead soldering! I had to use a second plug/socket to keep the pins aligned.

As Hugh said, lot of bad copies about and I guess a lot of out of specc' tooling?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster