You are here

Cell Tower question

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Cell Tower question

Postby metroplex » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:33 am

I hope this is the right sub forum for this. I was planning on building a home studio at home but there is a huge cell tower on top of my building and i was wondering if it will interfere with my recordings in any way,
metroplex

Re: Cell Tower question

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:05 am

No, it shouldn't have any effect at all assuming you're using competently designed equipment and good quality balanced cabling.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:54 am

I found that a mobile phone about a foot away from a "hand wired" conventionally designed 30W combo would produce a mild "twittering" sound but the amp was cranked such that hitting a chord would have been MOST unpleasant! I doubt the actual field strength from the tower, at the equipment is little higher than the phones themselves put out?

I would suggest the use of foil screened cables for tasks where they don't need to be super flexible and that means almost everywhere! They can be of a smaller diameter than heavy duty mic cable, 4 instead of 6mm + they use a drain wire and are thus much easier to strip and solder and..CHEAPER! Foil gives 100% RF screening whereas braids can neven be so.

And of course..They ALL sound the same!!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:05 pm

Yes, cell interference problems in the studio are most often caused by the emanations from the phone itself, rather than the mast, due entirely to proximity and local field strength. With a cell mast nearby, the cell phone will be able to operate on low power and should therefore cause fewer interference problems anyway.

One of my standard equipment review tests is to wave my own mobile phone near the equipment and as reception here is shockingly bad, the phone operates at maximum power all the time. Even so, I don't find interference issues very often. The two most recent (and these were both a few years ago now!) that I remember were a Cymatic Audio uTrack 24 recorder and the KH310 speakers. I reported my findings to both companies and both products were returned and checked. The KH310 had an internal grounding fault due to an assembly error I think, which was found and fixed. The KH310s that I bought for myself subsequently have always been fine. I wasn't told what the problem was with the Cymatic, but I suspect something similar and a replacement review unit retested fine, too.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby metroplex » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:55 pm

Thank you for the replies guys, i feel more relieved now that i know i can build my home studio regardless of the cell tower.
metroplex