You are here

Multiple Midi outputs

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Multiple Midi outputs

Postby James Perrett » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:46 pm

Ez wrote:That is what Ifind worrying. I’m not entirely convinced of the mechanical reliability of the USB socket verses the good old DIN variety. On consumer goods that’s fine but on professional grade products that are used in the touring industry I don’t know how long the sockets will last with repeated plugging/unplugging - often night after night. I guess the design gurus would have factored this in to the pricing?

Neither the standard DIN socket or the standard USB socket are professional grade connectors. You can buy metal shell locking DIN connectors which would be better but I don't think that anyone is using them for MIDI at the moment.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Folderol » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:46 pm

James Perrett wrote:
Ez wrote:That is what Ifind worrying. I’m not entirely convinced of the mechanical reliability of the USB socket verses the good old DIN variety. On consumer goods that’s fine but on professional grade products that are used in the touring industry I don’t know how long the sockets will last with repeated plugging/unplugging - often night after night. I guess the design gurus would have factored this in to the pricing?

Neither the standard DIN socket or the standard USB socket are professional grade connectors. You can buy metal shell locking DIN connectors which would be better but I don't think that anyone is using them for MIDI at the moment.
You can also get heavy duty plugs without the locking ring that will still fit a standard DIN socket. Hurts a lot when you tread on them, but the plug doesn't mind!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Postby ef37a » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:34 am

Folderol wrote:
James Perrett wrote:

You can also get heavy duty plugs without the locking ring that will still fit a standard DIN socket. Hurts a lot when you tread on them, but the plug doesn't mind!

I understand MIDI was originally on XLR-3? I am surprised that the standard audio DIN was taken up? Why not the much less common "B" type with its 240dgr pin index? Much easier to solder.

I have a couple of old all metal RS DIN MIDI cables (made up from FTP CAT cable!) They are indeed Doc Marten proof but all DIN plugs suffer from a poor cable clamp system, though heat shrink helps.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Ez » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:16 pm

I’ll wait with ‘baited breath’ for the future demise of Midi - much the same as the good old PSTN network and copper telephone wires. In the mean time as a communications protocol it meets my requirements.

Thanks for all your input. Nailed the extras outputs query :bouncy:

Eric
Ez
Poster

Previous