You are here

The Randolph Rooms!

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

The Randolph Rooms!

Postby mellowsouls » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:46 pm

Hello friends!

Following ten years of dreaming/reading, I suddenly find myself in a position to be able to construct a studio!

Unfortunately, this is only possible due to the passing of my father in law, and the subsequent sale of his house. But out of sad bits of life, one should seek out and treasure the good. This is why I’ll name the place after him.

I very nearly bought a former car garage with plans to turn the first floor into a flat (to have a sensible investment), leaving space for a couple of rooms below. Alas, the walls were shot and the rebuild costs out of budget. So on to plan B, the garden!

I have a smallish garden, and being a newbuild, the garden is a waterlogged waste of space. So my plan originally was to go the permitted development route, using less than 50% of the garden space, staying under the height restrictions.

My wife also needs a space for her meditation business, and I might as well incorporate the garden shed on the end so I’m looking at one long building across the back of the garden, leaving basically a courtyard between it and my house.

I really want to make a good drum recording in the room. I like a dead sounding space, so I’ll be going for a lot of absorption internally. The external walls will be block built, as I really want good dB reduction (mind you, no one has complained about my son learning to play drums in his bedroom).

Time for some piccies...
mellowsouls
Poster

Re: The Randolph Rooms!

Postby mellowsouls » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:52 pm

Probably an important point I missed off there - as I don’t want to waste money by making mistakes, I have asked Studio Support Gnome for his assistance in getting it right!

I think I know how to approach a build, and I’m ok with a hammer and stuff, but I need to be respectful of the source of the funds, my wife and my neighbours by getting it done proper. Decent thought out plans from an experienced designer will be so much cheaper than fixing a flawed build.

I’ve followed enough threads to know Max is the Man.
mellowsouls
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:01 pm

Yes, external host and links in your post.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby mellowsouls » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:07 pm

Ah, cheers Hugh! I guessed that might be the case then edited my post so I didn’t look quite so incompetent. Busted!
mellowsouls
Poster

Postby mellowsouls » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:18 pm

Let’s see if this works then...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/168269195@N07/H97ZV1
mellowsouls
Poster

Postby mellowsouls » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:18 pm

mellowsouls
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:42 pm

mellowsouls wrote:Probably an important point I missed off there - as I don’t want to waste money by making mistakes, I have asked Studio Support Gnome for his assistance in getting it right!
All the feedback suggests that if you follow his advice (and make sure the builder does!) then you should be fine. Good luck with the project, naming it for your father-in-law is a nice touch.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:32 pm

You need to use the 'share' option (for BB Boards) otherwise you are linking to the page, not the image.

ImageFirst thoughts by peter haines, on Flickr
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby James Perrett » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:08 am

It might be worth checking all the permitted development regulations and also the building regulations requirements as, when I build my studio, I had to keep it more than 1m away from any boundary and, as I didn't want to go through the hassle of gettiing building regulations approval, it had to have an area of less than 30 sq m. There is also a limitation on height too.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby mellowsouls » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:53 am

Thank you for sorting the picture out Wonks! You can see the gradual decline in posting quality directly correlates to the kids bedtime - at the end of the evening I’m done in!

I should mention that although I was initially thinking of going the permitted development route, I’m going to chat to the local planning office to see what I can do - eg, going up to the boundaries, getting a bit more height, etc.

The scale of what I’m able to do now is a relatively new concept, so all the ideas are fresh and perhaps will need tweaking/sensible moderation.

I mentioned that I’ve contacted SSG about getting some plans together, but I want to have a clear idea of what I want/can realistically do before handing over, and also I’m just so excited about the prospect that I couldn’t help but post - even if I am still at the ‘on the back of a fag packet’ plans stage!
mellowsouls
Poster

Postby mellowsouls » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:57 am

In reference to permitted development regs, I have a slight incline of around a foot and a half from one side of the garden to the other - would the maximum height be taken from the highest point, or mid-way?
mellowsouls
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:59 am

I think that your roofline must be no higher than (IIRC) 2.5m above ground level at any point on the building/boundary (but I'm not sure the precise details).

I guess you'll have read the various studio build threads on here along with the Studio SoS series for pointers. I guess many of us will be interested to see how your and the Gnome approach the build so please keep us posted.

Good luck.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:22 am

mellowsouls wrote:Probably an important point I missed off there - as I don’t want to waste money by making mistakes, I have asked Studio Support Gnome for his assistance in getting it right!

Could I remind you that there is no space for common sense on internet forums. May I suggest that the correct question should be somewhere along the lines of "I wish to build a studio but I only have a budget of £12.50 so, in fine disregard for the laws of Physics, I intend to build it out of cardboard - what analogue signal processing do I need to guarantee that my recordings are an instant, commercial, success?"

Seriously, excellent approach and I hope that it all works out for you. I'm looking forward to progress reports. It seems that you've already overcome the first, and most difficult, planning approval - that of your wife. Truly inspirational.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:32 pm

Music Wolf wrote:Could I remind you that there is no space for common sense on internet forums. May I suggest that the correct question should be somewhere along the lines of "I wish to build a studio but I only have a budget of £12.50 so, in fine disregard for the laws of Physics, I intend to build it out of cardboard - what analogue signal processing do I need to guarantee that my recordings are an instant, commercial, success?"
You missed the bit about reading the advice on the other threads but choosing to ignore it because of what your mate / someone on the internet said. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Logarhythm » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:57 pm

Isn't one of the important steps the "I found a local builder who says he can do it for 80% less than the experts so I'm going to do that and then try to fix it afterwards" stage? :tongue:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons