You are here

The Randolph Rooms!

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: The Randolph Rooms!

Postby mellowsouls » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:34 pm

Peevy wrote:If you plan to have others using your studio and your wife’s meditation business, I’d recommend you put a small toilet in there somewhere.
Already on the spec from the Mrs!
mellowsouls
Poster

Postby mellowsouls » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:16 pm

This is all a bit Chicken or Egg - I need something to take the the planning office, but I also need to have parameters from them to know what I can work with, and I want an idea of what to submit to SSG but that could all be changed to make it work properly!!!

I accept all this will likely change, but the plan is to use “Golden ratios” for the inside measurements and work outwards.

I’d say I stand a reasonable chance with the planning office, as many of the houses around me have detached pitched roof garages, so I’m hoping height won’t be an issue.

So, what’s the minimum height I should be aiming to hit or exceed for a dead sounding drum room (I like dead sounding rooms)? 8ft?
mellowsouls
Poster

Postby mellowsouls » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:45 am

Soooo... plans have changed!

The planning dept weren’t particularly warm to the idea of my ambitions, and outlined what they would be happy with, which is a lot smaller than what I wanted!

SSG has been bloody fantastic - gave me a shed load of advice and really highlighted the realities of my plans - the man thinks of everything! Resale value of my house, whether it would be more prudent to go for an extension to house the growing family - literally Everything! Way above and beyond.

So given the budget/time/planning constraints, I have reduced my (current) ambitions to a writing room stuck on the side of my wife’s meditation room (it’s her money and her business after all!)

I will of course keep you updated on what’s going on.

Once again, thank you to Studio Support Gnome for your time and massively comprehensive and thorough advice!

One day I’ll get my drum room!
mellowsouls
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:53 am

Just a thought (and I know it will probably go down like a lead balloon if suggested) but could the meditation studio be made dual purpose? I would benefit from sound proofing and acoustic treatment for it's primary purpose anyway (just like a 'live room' ;) ;) )
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:07 pm

SSG is a super helpful chap and a fount of all knowledge studio-wise, plus a billion other things.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:16 pm

:clap: :thumbup: :D
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby mellowsouls » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:35 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Just a thought (and I know it will probably go down like a lead balloon if suggested) but could the meditation studio be made dual purpose? I would benefit from sound proofing and acoustic treatment for it's primary purpose anyway (just like a 'live room' ;) ;) )

We’d run through that idea too - both with SSG and afterwards with the current plan. It’s just too much of a compromise really. I need somewhere to leave all my stuff plugged in so when I get time, I can get on with making sound. There is nothing as dampening on the creative spirit as having to pull everything out of storage and hook it all up before you can do something!
She needs her space to be clear, I need mine to be a snake pit of cables.
mellowsouls
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:58 am

Yeah, I had thought if that hence my comment in brackets but just wondered if you had considered it.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BJG145 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:11 pm

mellowsouls wrote:She needs her space to be clear, I need mine to be a snake pit of cables.

'twas ever thus.

BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby mellowsouls » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:28 pm

Ola peeps.

This music room business is a pain in the bum. Still, it’s a nice problem to have!

I was very close to proceeding with a cedar-clad shoebox type of thing, but I’ve been foxed by permitted development. Seems they’re a bit tighter about it in Wales. That shouldn’t surprise me!

I’m going to have to get planning permission. I’m going to have to do it bit by bit, too, as the budget is being eroded by family life. It will happen though - it just has to, simple as that.
mellowsouls
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:50 pm

Tell me about it! I've finally got the nod after some pretty frustrating back and forth with the council here.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby mellowsouls » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:54 pm

Planning seems stricter in Wales than the rest of the UK, and I live on a new build estate (crammed in like sardines) , so to get something wedged in here was always going to be tight.

As luck would have it, I’ve entered in to discussions with a friend of a friend, who before retirement was a local building control officer. He is going to draw me up some plans to submit to his former department. Score!

Now I did say at the start of this thread I’d be using the services of professionals, not going the “mate down the pub” route, but with the budget under constant attack anyway, that possibility faded away. This will be a slow burner.

I still have a solid builder lined up (seen lots of his work - great attention to detail), and I’m gaining confidence in my own decisions and abilities to make this work. I mean I’ve been reading about this stuff for at least 10 years! The knowledge I’ve picked up here and other places is actually quite decent. Now that I’ve got a former insider at the council in my team, I think I can do this without screwing it up.

I’m conscious of six months of talk and very little action, so I’ll refrain from posting now til we break ground.
mellowsouls
Poster

Postby mellowsouls » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:54 am

Progress! The foundations have been dug, concrete poured, hardcore put in the middle bits, and blocks ordered for the walls! I would love to show you pictures, but I can’t figure it out on my mobile as I’m currently in France.

We had a spot of luck with the proceedings- as well as being within permitted development, we are also just under what building control need to see too, so we have a little flexibility in what we do. Lucy’s room will now have a toilet (super exciting!?!).

Alas, this will not be the super duper drum room I wanted, but it’ll be plenty big enough and quiet enough for my revised needs.

When I get home I’ll post the pictures, then start looking in to ventilation - I will likely be asking for opinions on this!
mellowsouls
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:43 pm

:thumbup: It's all go on the studio front at the moment isn't it? My installation starts on monday as well. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby mellowsouls » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:11 pm

Here we go...

mellowsouls
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:57 pm

mellowsouls wrote:Lucy’s room will now have a toilet (super exciting!?!).

Doesn't that turn it into something that building control will want to know about?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby N i g e l » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:38 pm

My neighbours were in a similar situation orientated to accoustic drumming.

They opted for a drop in "Accoustic shed" , slightly bigger than your average garage.

It is a shed - a temporary structure [I guess £10k + diy footings], a room within a room, 2x double glazing.

It was assembled by some avant garde musicians, in low slung jeans, hammering and banging away for about 3 days, mainly improvising to Steve wright in the afternoon [BBC Radio 2].

PROS: quiet

CONS: I cant use my hand recorder for "found sound" insperation.

-------

With regard to regulations, always check locally. Their are regs for max height and height to eves.

You can dig down but e.g. in London their are regs about "Iceberg buildings"
N i g e l
Regular

Postby Folderol » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:44 pm

Where are those images located? My browser refuses to open them :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby blinddrew » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:33 pm

They're on flicker. I could open them by right-clicking and opening in a new tab.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:39 am

Thanks - that works here too :)
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

PreviousNext