You are here

Latching Midi Footswitch recommendations

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Latching Midi Footswitch recommendations

Postby jmccullo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:00 am

Hi - I've built a set of midi controlled switches using this kit : https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/relay-switcher-8-channel-midi-to-relay-module/ which I'm using to control the channels on my guitar amp. When you send the relevant note-on midi command it activates the relay and when you send the relevant note-off command it de-activates it - all of which works great. I can control this as a midi instrument within Pro Tools and therefore change channels when recording automatically.

I'm looking to emulate the same thing whilst using a footswitch, but I don't want to have to hold the switch down for the length of time I'd like the 2nd channel to be in operation. Basically when I hit the switch I want it to send a note-on message and when I hit it again I want it to send a note-off message.

Does anyone know a cheap and cheerful midi footswitch (preferably a couple or three switches) that has this functionality?

Ta John
jmccullo
New here
johnmcculloch.net

Re: Latching Midi Footswitch recommendations

Postby Folderol » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:22 am

You could use one of these :)
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Postby jmccullo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:22 pm

Hi - not exactly what I was after. It seems to lack the foot and midi elements of midi footswitch!
jmccullo
New here
johnmcculloch.net

Postby Folderol » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:39 pm

jmccullo wrote:Hi - not exactly what I was after. It seems to lack the foot and midi elements of midi footswitch!
I thought you were just after a switch to replace an existing one, rather than the whole module.

I've frequently used this sort of switch sunken into the frame so it can't be pushed too hard/far - never been a problem.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:51 pm

A physically latching switch would replicate a momentary one being held and then released. I have guitar pedal type foot switches of both flavours on different kit. Referring back to that Arduino thread maybe that would be a way forward, would it be possible to program the Arduino to hold a note on until a second key press?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Folderol » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:51 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:would it be possible to program the Arduino to hold a note on until a second key press?

Yep. Been there, done that. Very easy to do.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby jmccullo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:36 pm

Sounds interesting - and I did fancy doing a bit of Arduino programming. Another little project. I'll have a look at the Arduino stuff, but any further details would be great.

Thx again - John
jmccullo
New here
johnmcculloch.net