You are here

Storage Solutions

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Storage Solutions

Postby Funkyflash5 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:14 am

Hi all,
I'm going to be rearranging my rehearsal/recording space soon, and the main thing I'm struggling with is keeping tidy. How do you all store mics, cables, pedals, stands, ect so they are handy but also out of the way? Part of the rearrange will be the addition of a workbench for guitar tech/electronics work, any tips on how to lay that out to make efficient use of the space and also make it usable?
Funkyflash5
Poster

Re: Storage Solutions

Postby zenguitar » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:53 am

Best advice I can offer is that you build your tech bench to use whilst standing. Have the bench a couple of inches below your elbows measured while you are standing.

A standing bench is very ergonomic, if you have to move to reach something you step rather than lean.

The second tip is to look out for a local bank branch being closed and to approach the contractors and offer them a fiver for a tall cashier's stool. They are like a normal height adjustable office chair but much taller and ideal for use with a standing height work bench. That means you have a means of sitting down for detailed work if you need to as well.

And the bonus with a standing height work bench is you have a LOT more storage space underneath. I have a couple of 4x12 speaker cabs below my current bench safely out of harms way.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby blinddrew » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:56 pm

Things that have worked for me: - double-coat-hooks work really well for headphones. The headphones sit on the long arm, looped cable on the short one.Image
- CD storage racks with drawers kind of like this: Image

These are great for microphones, guitar strings, spare leads, pedals etc. And will frequently pass a visual inspection if the room is to be shared use... ;) They can also be found dead cheap as everyone's getting rid of their CDs...
- For cables it's frequently easiest to hang them from hooks (coiled or folded according to your preference) but again, if the visual side of things is important, units like this can be usefulfor keeping things separated but easily accessible: Image .
The usual plastic storage boxes are useful but if you can get them onto shelving it can make a big difference to accessibility. Having to shift half a dozen boxes to get to the bottom one can be a pain. And having them on shelves makes you (or maybe just me!) less likely to stack further piles in front of them.

That aside (and Andy's excellent points about a standing bench), the key thing is to really look at your approach and work out what needs to be
a) constantly out, plugged in, and ready to go.
b) what needs to be readily available for frequent use.
c) what can sit in a box at the back of a shelf until an appropriate project comes along.

Focus your effort on getting a) sorted so that you're up and running when inspiration or ethos strikes. I'm a looong way from this at the moment (I reckon it probably takes an hour for me to get set up for even the simplest bit of instrumental or vocal recording) and it's a real productivity killer.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Folderol » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:16 pm

double coat hooks is coming up as a broken link :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:25 pm

Fixed that...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Folderol » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:29 pm

That was quick :clap: :thumbup:
Hmmm, reminds me of the coat hooks at my old primary school :o
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Postby blinddrew » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:31 pm

EDIT - Hugh has jumped in and fixed it already!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...