You are here

DIY Drum Riser from Nov 2018 issue

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

DIY Drum Riser from Nov 2018 issue

Postby forumuser653351 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:03 pm

Would the DIY drum riser from the November 2018 issue also work for isolating the structural born vibrations form a bass amp? (edit: just re-read the article and it says it will work with a guitar amp so I'm assuming yes!)
Also would the mineral-wool mark a carpet that it sits on?
I’m moving to a rental terrace house and I’m concerned about structural born vibrations (and causing damage to the interior decoration). Volume of noise isn’t such a problem as I don’t play or listen loud and if I do I can use headphones or at a time when the neighbours are out. Thanks :)
forumuser653351
Regular

Re: DIY Drum Riser from Nov 2018 issue

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:49 pm

forumuser653351 wrote:Would the DIY drum riser from the November 2018 issue also work for isolating the structural born vibrations form a bass amp? (edit: just re-read the article and it says it will work with a guitar amp so I'm assuming yes!)

Yes, it would. And there are commercial equivalents like the Auralex Gramma.

https://www.auralex.com/product/gramma/

Not mark, as in leave a greasy residue or anything like that, but the mineral wool will probably leave some fibres/dust which can be easily vacuumed away when removed. If its a concern, wrap the mineral wool slabs in a fabric to help contain the fibres. I've found cheap weed-control matting from a garden centre to be very cost-effective in this role for absorber panels, so it should work in your application too.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: DIY Drum Riser from Nov 2018 issue

Postby forumuser653351 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
forumuser653351 wrote:Would the DIY drum riser from the November 2018 issue also work for isolating the structural born vibrations form a bass amp? (edit: just re-read the article and it says it will work with a guitar amp so I'm assuming yes!)

Yes, it would. And there are commercial equivalents like the Auralex Gramma.

https://www.auralex.com/product/gramma/

Not mark, as in leave a greasy residue or anything like that, but the mineral wool will probably leave some fibres/dust which can be easily vacuumed away when removed. If its a concern, wrap the mineral wool slabs in a fabric to help contain the fibres. I've found cheap weed-control matting from a garden centre to be very cost-effective in this role for absorber panels, so it should work in your application too.

H

Many thanks for your reply, very useful.
forumuser653351
Regular