You are here

Acoustic 'blinkers' for studio monitors...?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Acoustic 'blinkers' for studio monitors...?

Postby Elephone » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:32 pm

Hello. I'm struggling to find a space on the walls to the side of my speakers to place acoustic panels. Is there anything wrong with placing close hanging 'blinkers' at the outer sides of speakers to absorb the sound before it reaches these side walls?

I mean to hang Rockwool panels quite close to each outer side of the speakers (and above), rather than on the walls the sound would eventually reach otherwise.

The sound from the inner sides of the speakers should be quite well blocked by these outer panels also.

Thanks.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: Acoustic 'blinkers' for studio monitors...?

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:42 pm

I'm sure somebody with proper knowledge will be along soon but it seems to me that if they are effective in covering the relevant 'mirror points' they should work.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:46 pm

The drawback that I can see is that the sound will only pass through them once, before hitting the wall where they would otherwise be.

If placed near the wall, the sound will reflect and pass through again, doubling their effect (well a bit more than that as the reflected sound is already attenuated).

So for the same level of deadening from that panel, you'd need double the thickness of rockwool.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Elephone » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:55 pm

That's a point!

On the other hand, since the panels extend quite far forward, close to the speaker, all the frequencies from each side will be blocked (once), perhaps like having a whole wall of half-as-thick Rockwool, rather than just at the direct reflection points to ear.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:57 pm

I think I'd be much more concerned about the effect they'll have on stereo imaging.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Elephone » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:09 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I think I'd be much more concerned about the effect they'll have on stereo imaging.

Because some of the frequencies would get reflected? Incidentally, I don't mean right up against the speakers, but maybe within a foot.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby DanDan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:08 pm

An interesting idea. As the absorber is very very near the source, it will be subjected to high energy, thus absorbing a lot. I guess it would only apply to the top and outer side of the speaker and obviously only HF really.
We do occasionally see felt and foam used around tweeters. This helps with cabinet edge effects I believe.

DD
DanDan
Poster