You are here

What is acceptable room volume and how would you measure it?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: What is acceptable room volume and how would you measure it?

Postby jellyjim » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:35 pm

Watchmaker wrote:call the po-po

haha! 'po-po' always make laugh
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby Wonks » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:37 pm

Have you other neighbours? I'm assuming that you've probably got people to the sides and above you, so have they ever made any complaints?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby jellyjim » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:39 pm

Wonks wrote:Have you other neighbours? I'm assuming that you've probably got people to the sides and above you, so have they ever made any complaints?

Nobody above. Garage to the right, shops to the left. Somebody on ground floor.
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:46 pm

Life will be much nicer if you manage to befriend them :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby jellyjim » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:48 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Life will be much nicer if you manage to befriend them :thumbup:

I certainly have no intention of p'ing them off. I'd hate noisy neighbours myself!
jellyjim
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:59 pm

jellyjim wrote:Nobody above. Garage to the right, shops to the left. Somebody on ground floor.

Reminded me of Steelers Wheel:
"Clowns to the left of me,
Jokers to the right, here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you"

You could always drill a hole through their ceiling, and introduce an anaesthetic gas whilst you are making a noise, so they don't notice anything at all. ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:01 pm

As a rough rule of thumb, you wouldn't expect normal conversations between two people to be overhead in adjacent properties, whereas raised voices or shouting might be.

So, applying that to music listening levels, if you find yourself working at such a level that you need to raise your voice (or shout) to be heard by someone in the same room while playing music, the chances are it's going to be at a level that is likely to cause disturbance, and doubly so given that speech has no deep bass, but music almost always does (and bass gets through walls much more easily than mid and high frequencies).

The problem is that most people ~do~ end up monitoring at just that kind of elevated level when mixing, often without realising it!

I agree with all the other calls to make friends with the new tenant and work out an acceptable arrangement before it becomes a problem.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:59 pm

jellyjim wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:Life will be much nicer if you manage to befriend them :thumbup:

I certainly have no intention of p'ing them off. I'd hate noisy neighbours myself!

:bouncy:

I was meaning more that you never know where new friends are going to come from. You and your new neighbours may turn out to have nothing in common but equally there's a chance it may be the start of a firm friendship.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:30 pm

Speaking from personal experience, it's worth really impressing on them that if they're not happy they absolutely can and should come and talk to you about it.
I switched to playing bass in a band for a few months and hadn't realised that the change in frequency has meant that my practicing had gone from in audible next door to quiet-but-really-annoying. I'd previously chatted to my neighbour regularly but because it was quite a quiet overall level they felt they couldn't complain. Eventually it came up in conversation that actually they had a problem with it but never wanted to raise it. :(
All it took to sort was me turning down the amp a notch, which I barely noticed. Sometimes people are too polite for their own good.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:38 pm

Exactly.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:25 pm

what? Can you turn that up a notch, please?
Watchmaker
Regular
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby maxsnet » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:29 pm

When I move to a new place, I usually play as loud as I enjoy like if I were alone in the world. I usually get one neighbour knocking at my door after a few days.

I am always very friendly - he or she is right to be upset - and apologetic and I always give my phone number. I say that I will be careful and that anytime I disturb, they sms me.

When I receive a SMS I play quieter and after a bunch of sms amongst a few days or weeks I know when and at which volume they would get disturbed. After a few days or weeks without an SMS, I send one to know if that is better now.

I often invite to grab a beer too, propose services like to keep the cat when they are on holidays...

Never had a problem.

In the flat I am now, I solved the issue by moving my monitors where it would make the room vibrate the least.
maxsnet
New here

Previous