You are here

Can I bypass this (dirt cheap) delay?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Can I bypass this (dirt cheap) delay?

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:00 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Wonks wrote:BBDs aren't inherently dull. If you had a fixed delay time with enough BBD chips to clock them at a high speed for that delay time, then you would have a near pristine delay.

Quite so!

BBDs operate as an analogue sampling system, so the audio bandwidth is directly related to the sampling frequency, while the delay time is related to the number of stages in the BBD chain. So if you want a long delay with a wide bandwidth you need a lot of BBD chips running very fast... and that means a high cost which isn't likely to make it an attract purchase.

The advent of real digital delays overcame that cost/bandwidth/delay time conundrum and virtually killed off the BBD solution overnight.

Today, the 'dull' BBDs are often sought after specifically for their own low-fi sound...

H

Yeah, I have a TC Flashback which has various models including old school delays and tape echo. I tend to use a clean digital delay model myself but I get using some BBD models for authenticity.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Richie Royale » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:27 pm

Wonks wrote:
Richie Royale wrote:I own a mixture of delays through random purchases over the years - tape, analogue and digital. I like them all and they all offer something each of the others don't.
don't... don't... don't... don't... don't...
don't... dn't... dn't... n't... n't... n... n...
don't... dnn... dnn... dn... dn... d... d...

Ha ha.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:29 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Is this not just a signal polarity issue?

That is my presumption. The board is all SMT which makes trying to re-wire anything more tricky.

I am going to try out Wonks phase inverter idea when I can.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Previous