You are here

Simple non-invasive soundproofing

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Simple non-invasive soundproofing

Postby emptybe » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:47 pm

Hi troops. Excuse the ignorance but despite making music for a living for 15 years I'm a major ignoramus when it comes to acoustic treatments.

I'm looking for a new studio space and have found plenty of office/studio type spaces - usually with breezeblock walls. I'm conscious of annoying my potential neighbours and wanted to look at simple ways to reduce how much noise would go through the walls and improve the sound in the room too. I don't record any loud live instruments (only singers & strings) and generally work pretty quietly but do crank it occasionally when people come in to review stuff.

Any space I work from is probably not going to be long-term so I'm looking for a cost-effective way to do this without any major works/false walls etc

Foam panels like these https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/AcouFoam-30cm-Acoustic-Panel-by-Gear4music/23OY would seem the cheapest and easiest solution on the party walls but I've read lots of conflicting stuff that either says that the tiles help with in-room reflections etc AND soundproof, or says that tiles like that will do literally nothing in terms of noise going through the wall.

Any advice much appreciated.
emptybe
Poster

Re: Simple non-invasive soundproofing

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:50 pm

The latter, I'm afraid!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Soundproofing requires mass, unfortunately. If you take some time to trawl through the posts by Studio Support Gnome (aka Max), specifically those regarding acoustics, soundproofing and studio construction you'll find a wealth of useful information ;-)

https://www.soundonsound.com/search/for ... -filters=1
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:56 pm

Gik Acoustics do panels that can easily be removed and used in a new space when you leave but they will require drilling the walls to fix them (though it is probably possible to work out away of fitting them without drilling if that is an absolute no-no). They will do a much better job of making the room sound good than those G4M come tiles (which won't do much useful) but will do nothing WRT soundproofing. Some of the sound escaping (and most of the HF stuff) will get out through small air gaps so the best you can do in your situation to prevent sound from getting in and out is to seal the doors and windows with draught excluder. Not much... well nothing you can do about what goes through the walls though so evaluate and then talk to your neighbouring office users.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:00 pm

Or simply hire the spaces both sides or find somewhere with an inner sanctum with solid walls.

Obviously you also need to check that the neighbours aren't in the habit of making occasional loud noises as it could impinge on your quiet recording work.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:34 pm

Fundamentally 'simple' and 'soundproofing' don't go together. Sound 'treatment' can be done fairly simply, cheaply and in a temporary fashion. But soundproofing is difficult, heavy, and really requires professional work from design through to implementation as even the best plan can be scuppered by a small failure in implementation (or vice versa).
The sticky thread at the top of this forum about the new studio build is a good read to see the kind of thing you need to look at for a real soundproof space.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby emptybe » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:58 pm

Thank you for the replies, allbethey not what I wanted to hear! I obviously need to do a lot more research, or find a place with no neighbours!
emptybe
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:43 pm

It may be that working at the low levels you do most of the time is not going to cause a problem with the neighbours and it is only when playing louder for clients that it becomes intrusive, maybe it would be possible to explain that such times will be brief or even schedule them outside normal working hours?

The ideal, of course, would be an old stone mill building where units had walls 2ft thick (a mate had a drum studio in just such a place) :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Humble Bee » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:23 pm

The ideal would be a barn with thin wooden walls in the middle of the forest, 2 miles from the closest neighbors...
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:36 pm

2 miles wouldn't be far enough :bouncy:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster