You are here

USB extensions for remote gear in sound booth

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: USB extensions for remote gear in sound booth

Postby Wonks » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:34 pm

There are lots of cable makes, but finding one that makes consistently good quality cables is the problem. If that brand has always been 100% reliable for you (allowing for the fact that even the best cables will get damaged if misused or run over by the wheels on a chair etc.) then fine. But don't go by price alone.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby James Perrett » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:58 pm

Startech stuff has usually been fine in my experience although I've not used their active USB cables. I guess finding Lindy cables may be a bit difficult where you are as they are a UK based company and I'm not sure who the US equivalent is.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:10 pm

I don't think you will have much trouble with a 10mtr run of USB except for the AI and for that you might find this is the answer? https://uk.farnell.com/newlink/usb-boos ... 9714695233

Yes, AIs can be fussy about hubs but my NI KA6 isn't. I can also run the KA6 from a 5mtr USB cable and also a Focusrite 8i6. If your AI has local power from a wall rat, voltage drop over the extension will not matter (in fact the drop will be very, very small anyway)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Previous