You are here

partially treating a room

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

partially treating a room

Postby dbfs » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:08 pm

Hi folks,
I am looking at treating my room.

It is 25 ft long and 14 foot wide. the room is about 8ft high.

I am considering building a frame around the perimeter and packing it with about 40- 60cm of mineral wool and then covering with fabric before adding spaced wooden laths to add a bit of life back to the room.

The ceiling will also see "some" treatment with about 200mm of mineral packed behind some large acoustic panels.

I am wondering if there is much benefit to treating the entire ceiling and perimeter as opposed to just the half the room where I will be working. I know that the back wall will need treating so its more the ceiling and side rear walls I was questioning the need for.

Any advice appreciated.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Re: partially treating a room

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:38 pm

Your 400-600mm deep panels will probably serve well as bass traps (and you can never have too much bass trapping in a small room but It would be more efficient to treat the mirror points and add corner bass trapping . With your plan you risk the room sounding unbalanced and, most likely, too dull.

I don't think I would do 'live end/dead end' myself but it is an accepted technique. Not sure how well it would work in a smallish room. My room is about half the size of you're and has a very low ceiling, about 1/3rd of the wall and ceiling area is covered with absorbers and I think it sounds pretty nice.

BTW are you sure you mean 40-60cm? that would leave you with a 10' wide room?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby dbfs » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:02 pm

Hi Sam, Thanks for the reply. I have seen yours in photos and it looks great.

I had taken the 40-60 cm guide from looking at this guys builds.

https://www.facebook.com/MyRoom.Acoustics/

They seem great but really need the timber for diffusion to compensate.

I might just try and do something like what you have there. I have quite a few real traps from my last place so maybe building a few big corner traps and finding good spots for the real traps combined with treating mirror points would be adequate.

Thanks for the advice.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Postby Wonks » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:25 pm

the slats are less for diffusion than simple reflection. The easy solution to save on slats and have more internal space is to build some deep panels but leave some wall space clear.

If I went the full wall and ceiling panel route, I'd certainly want moveable slats so I could tune the room to be as dead/live as I wanted. But with a room the size you've mentioned, there has to be some compromise between treatment and space. It's not a big enough space to be a commercial any-use studio, so it's going to be better to tailor the room to your actual needs/proposed uses.

I assume you are OK with noise issues. Even the full treatment won't make the room soundproof, though 60cm thick panels would provide some sound deadening.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby dbfs » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:31 pm

Hi Wonks,

Thanks for the reply.

The room is for mixing (Maybe some DIY mastering) only. Its a converted garage in my house and noise is not an issue. We are in the country and a good bit away from next house. My bedroom is beside the studio room and the other adjacent room is our laundry room. I am going to get the Neumann KH310 as they are sealed.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Postby dbfs » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:34 pm

When you say "build some deep panels but leave some wall space clear." do you mean have some untreated areas of normal wall and just treat the corners and maybe back wall?
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Postby Wonks » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:00 pm

Something like that. Certainly the corners and the mirror points. Bass end is where you need the most trapping. Highs and mids are fairly easily dealt with. So big deep corner traps, but leave some bare wall so that you don't suck all the treble out of the space. Remember that for bass, spacing a 20cm thick panel from the wall by 5cm is almost as effective as a 25cm panel placed against the wall.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:01 pm

I think that's what Wonks means, and, certainly, that's what I did. You do have much more space than I did but I would still want to maximise the working area with what you have available. Do a big bass trap on the wall behind the monitors, corner traps at the back and decent sized broadband absorbers at the mirror points and you'll probably be 80% of the way there. I have a 10" deep bass trap in the alcove behind my monitors (audio and video) 'cos I could but with a 3.9 x 3.9 (ish) room I had little choice. In you space I might use a couple of feet at the front for bass trapping which, with the rear corner traps should give better than average bass response for the room size. I'm not sure of the benefit of 'tuneable' acoustics in a mix space, useful in a concert hall or live room but I would think you want a consistent acoustic in your mixing room.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........