You are here

New ideas in acoustic treatment

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: New ideas in acoustic treatment

Postby Folderol » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:29 pm

There's a reasonable free-flowing brook running through it. Judging from the parked cars these people probably wouldn't recognise anything less than a £20 note - that's if they recognise cash at all :)

Anyway, here you go :)
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Postby Wonks » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:05 pm

I was previousy having a look round that area on Google Maps and though that was probably it.

It's a cheap installation to to put the pipes in the water rather then lay them deep in the ground, but it's not so efficient for running when in heating mode when the water is cold, as the ground source heat pump will operate almost as a pure electric heater, which isn't very efficient. (Air-source heat pumps also suffer from this when cold, plus they need to run a de-frost cycle as the external pipework fins will freeze any condensation that forms on their cold surface).

Given a dry cold spell, those pipes could in theory freeze the water in the pond from the bottom up and kill off all life in the pond. The benefit of laying the pipes deep in the ground is that the ground temperature is at a steadier temperature all year round, normally 10°C-13°C before and heat exchanging, and with some slow flow of water through the soil, taking heat out or putting it in doesn't change the surrounding soil temperature too much.

But friends at my company have investigated several botched large private house ground-source heat pump installations, it's very easy for installation contractors to cut corners to save a bit of money or time, but it quickly shows.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:48 pm

Wonks wrote:I was previousy having a look round that area on Google Maps and though that was probably it.

It's a cheap installation to to put the pipes in the water rather then lay them deep in the ground, but it's not so efficient for running when in heating mode when the water is cold, as the ground source heat pump will operate almost as a pure electric heater, which isn't very efficient. (Air-source heat pumps also suffer from this when cold, plus they need to run a de-frost cycle as the external pipework fins will freeze any condensation that forms on their cold surface).

Given a dry cold spell, those pipes could in theory freeze the water in the pond from the bottom up and kill off all life in the pond. The benefit of laying the pipes deep in the ground is that the ground temperature is at a steadier temperature all year round, normally 10°C-13°C before and heat exchanging, and with some slow flow of water through the soil, taking heat out or putting it in doesn't change the surrounding soil temperature too much.

But friends at my company have investigated several botched large private house ground-source heat pump installations, it's very easy for installation contractors to cut corners to save a bit of money or time, but it quickly shows.

For my sins, I appear to have been nominated the resident engineer responsible for such things at My place of work....

Trying to argue the toss with bloody area sales reps bent on doing everything cheaper and more competitively , rather than properly.... Jesus..... I get extremely irritated with one particular chap..... who is adamant he is never ever wrong, and because he's been doing things this way for years, and the construction industry takes his word as gospel.... it must therefore be right, and my objections cannot possibly really matter or have any basis in fact.

commercial realities .... my arse.

what good is a sale at cut throat margins if we have to go replace the frigging system because you specified it over optimistically and the contractor cut 2 more corners and now blames us for your advice.... and I just spent my month fixing the design to work properly, and our service engineer now has to go implement it.....

and yet, the git has the best major project sale conversion rate in the business..

even if I do have to fix half of them after the fact.

which he somehow then claims credit for....

good grief....
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby zenguitar » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:07 am

And there is no point in complaining to senior management because they have already put you both into neat pigeon holes. In their minds he is a profit centre and you are a cost centre. And they can never get beyond those Harvard Business School goggles.

You have my sympathies mate.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby blinddrew » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:39 pm

zenguitar wrote:And there is no point in complaining to senior management because they have already put you both into neat pigeon holes. In their minds he is a profit centre and you are a cost centre. And they can never get beyond those Harvard Business School goggles.

You have my sympathies mate.

Andy :beamup:
Sooo much this ^^^ :(

At my previous employer it had been established that 85% of our profit came from our existing customers and 15% from new business. But it was the sales teams who got the big salaries, bonuses and plaudits, whilst those in the contact centres and in the back office (doing all the work to keep our existing customers happy) were the lowest paid in the organisation.
Amazingly this is still the case there and in a whole host of other organisations - we just can't get past that mindset even in the face of overwhelming evidence.

Reminds me of something else... :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Previous