You are here

TS and TRS connections

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

TS and TRS connections

Postby Gone To Lunch » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:50 pm

Assuming an appropriate adaptor, can I plug a balanced XLR cable into a TS jack output ?

I am trying to send a stereo mix signal, out of my Behringer MiniMom maxtrix mixer down two balanced cables with XLRs to my hi if amp in another room. (It goes through an ART CleanBOX II 2 Channel Hum Eliminator before going into the amp.)

It was all balanced from mix out to hifi amp through an M-Patch box, but this has died. So I found an old spare Minimon, but the manual says the jack outs are TS ? My limited understanding is that it needs to be TRS to be balanced throughout ?
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
http://www.gonetolunchmusic.com/

Re: TS and TRS connections

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:06 pm

Gone To Lunch wrote:Assuming an appropriate adaptor, can I plug a balanced XLR cable into a TS jack output ?

Yes... Assuming appropriate adaptors... But it won't be sending a balanced signal!

My limited understanding is that it needs to be TRS to be balanced throughout ?

Yes. But if you're working with line level signals you'll probably find unbalanced works acceptably well and you won't have any significant interference issues. The usual problem with unbalanced connections is that of ground loops, but your cleanbox will prevent that.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Gone To Lunch » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:19 pm

Thanks Hugh !
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
http://www.gonetolunchmusic.com/

Postby jerrii » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:18 pm

As Hugh said, yes you can connect using appropriate adaptors but the signals will be mixed
jerrii
New here