You are here

"Spare Bedroom" Studio refurb; flooring?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

"Spare Bedroom" Studio refurb; flooring?

Postby The Bunk » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:17 pm

Time has come for an overhaul for my "spare bedroom" (which is now no longer a bedroom, nor is it spare); basically I moved in here (standard 2 up 2 down) almost 20 years ago and over that time it has become nothing but a dedicated music room / studio where I do all my recording and "pleasure listening". It's got sufficient acoustic treatment to be able to knock up decent enough results. Window is covered by a venetian-type blind, so no curtains. The carpet has had years of wear and tear, spilt beer, wine, the odd fag-end burn and is generally just pants. So that's going to be replaced.

Question is: go for another carpet or a hard floor? My vox recordings have generally been fine and most of the guitar stuff I do is DI. But I've never really been truly happy with my acoustic (mic'ed) recordings. (and yes I know that's a whole separate subject!!)
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Re: "Spare Bedroom" Studio refurb; flooring?

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:44 pm

It's always tricky if you have to use the same space for mixing and recording music with mics.

In your situation I'd re-carpet, but get some boards - ply, hardboard, MDF or whatever - to put on the floor and/or walls to brighten things a bit when recording 'acoustically'.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:07 pm

...or a variation to Mikes suggestion - get a rug that can be removed / peeled back when needed
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:28 pm

Jumpeyspyder wrote:...or a variation to Mikes suggestion - get a rug that can be removed / peeled back when needed

Just because he's follically challenged.... :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:50 pm

Wonks wrote:
Jumpeyspyder wrote:...or a variation to Mikes suggestion - get a rug that can be removed / peeled back when needed

Just because he's follically challenged.... :D

I'm not follically challenged - they've just migrated south ;)
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby The Bunk » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:22 am

I'm thinking here that Wonks is referring to my own follicular failings :bouncy: And I do indeed have a collection of er, "rugs", but that's a whole different and difficult to explain story :D
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:00 pm

I too am folically challenged but that's irrelevant to this post.

One of the threads a while back suggested getting some wooden venetian blinds that could be hung over the front of any room treatment. Doing some mixing? Raise the blind, acoustic treatment in place. Doing some recording? Drop the blind, nice reflective surface.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Bunk » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:17 pm

blinddrew wrote:One of the threads a while back suggested getting some wooden venetian blinds that could be hung over the front of any room treatment. Doing some mixing? Raise the blind, acoustic treatment in place. Doing some recording? Drop the blind, nice reflective surface.

So you're a bit of a blind expert too Drew? Perhaps that's another reason for the name :bouncy: ;)
That's a nice idea. The reason for mentioning it is from my experience of changing from curtains to a wooden blind in my living room where the home cinema set-up is. In the curtain days I could crank up the volume to music DVDs and it sounded great. Now with blinds it's just reverb city, absolutely awful, despite doing as much as I reasonably can to soften the room up. So the listening experience is important.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster