You are here

Speaket Connection

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Speaket Connection

Postby FoolsGold » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:19 am

Hello there,

I'm having a problem with the connection of my speakers (Marantz LD20) to the amplifier (Rotel Ra-931), I have already tried to change the connections from one output to another but without sucess.

The problem is that I only get sound from one speaker at the time. So I got one speaker playing, when I disconnect the one playing (to try the other outputs) the speaker that was quiet started to play.
FoolsGold
New here

Re: Speaket Connection

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:40 pm

Well, that's pretty wacky! It suggests to me either an overload problem, which is unlikely since both (8 Ohm) speakers apparently work individually, or you've got some short-circuits going on in the wiring. The latter is easily possible if you're using bare wire ends rather than 4mm plugs to connect the speakers (eg, stray strands of wire extending between the terminals from your cables).

But in principle this should be as simple as wiring the + and - wires from each speaker into the corresponding +/- 4mm terminals of the amp using either the direct (non-switched) set, or the remote (switchable) set.

http://www.rotel.com/sites/default/files/product/manuals/RA-931MKII-OM.pdf
H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby FoolsGold » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:10 pm

First let me thank you for your time and reply, because this is quite frankly driving me insane :headbang: , been having lots of problems trying to get my music playing set ready still without success because I'm yet to resolve all the problems.

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Well, that's pretty wacky! It suggests to me either an overload problem, which is unlikely since both (8 Ohm) speakers apparently work individually, or you've got some short-circuits going on in the wiring. The latter is easily possible if you're using bare wire ends rather than 4mm plugs to connect the speakers (eg, stray strands of wire extending between the terminals from your cables).

I am indeed using bare wire ends, I guess I'm going to try the other type of plug you mention.

Hugh Robjohns wrote:But in principle this should be as simple as wiring the + and - wires from each speaker into the corresponding +/- 4mm terminals of the amp using either the direct (non-switched) set, or the remote (switchable) set.

I don't know what you mean by this: "the direct (non-switched) set, or the remote (switchable) set." can you please explain ?
Also, the "+/- 4mm terminals of the amp" are the same I am using to connect the bare end wires to the amp right ?

Can you suggest a better type of cable for the terminals I have at the moment, I would like to change them to rca as I was told they're better but first I have to find someone who does this.

I posted a picture of the back of the amp so that you can see. This is not my amp, also ignore the green rectangle.

Thanks a lot!
FoolsGold
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:31 pm

FoolsGold wrote:I am indeed using bare wire ends, I guess I'm going to try the other type of plug you mention.

If using bare wires, pay particular attention to tightly twisting together the strands in each cable, and making sure none are sticking out to short against the other cables or terminals.

I don't know what you mean by this: "the direct (non-switched) set, or the remote (switchable) set." can you please explain ?

It's explained clearly in the manual that I linked above. The Direct speaker outputs are active all the time and are connected straight to the internal amplifier outputs. The Remote terminals are only connected when the front panel switch is operated. The idea is that you can run a second set of speakers to a different room and turn them on or off from the amp, or you can run your main speakers from them and turn them off when using headphones, for example. In normal applications you'd connect the speakers to the DIRECT terminals only.

Also, the "+/- 4mm terminals of the amp" are the same I am using to connect the bare end wires to the amp right ?

yep.

Can you suggest a better type of cable for the terminals I have at the moment, I would like to change them to rca as I was told they're better but first I have to find someone who does this.

RCA phono connectors are line-level signal connectors, not speaker connectors. They are the input connectors for the amp, such as those highlighted in the green box of your pic above.

As for speaker cable, I tend to use standard 1.5mm two-core mains flex (orange lawn-mower cable is good and cheap), but there are also plenty of dedicated speaker cables available, either in cut lengths with bare ends, or fully terminated with 4mm plugs. I'd avoid hi-fi shops as they tend to want to sell silly exotic cables that cost a fortune but offer no benefit.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby FoolsGold » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:45 pm

Ok, that's it! I got it all. Thanks a lot.

i'm going to try to just connect them better if it doesn't work, I'll try other cable with plugs.
FoolsGold
New here

Postby Music Wolf » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:08 pm

Hi

A couple of questions. Was the system working and now something has changed, or is this the first time that you have connected it? If it's changed, has anything been altered (i.e. disconnected / reconnected, moved, added etc)?

Just to be absolutely sure, are you connecting both speakers to the same pair of outputs?

Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby FoolsGold » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:43 pm

Music Wolf wrote:Hi

A couple of questions. Was the system working and now something has changed, or is this the first time that you have connected it? If it's changed, has anything been altered (i.e. disconnected / reconnected, moved, added etc)?

Just to be absolutely sure, are you connecting both speakers to the same pair of outputs?

It's the first time with this amplifier. I was using the speakers before.

I connected the speakers to the same output (the direct one) and I noticed that they only play one at the time, then I started by changing the cables on speaker end after that I changed the cables on the amp end and then I did this on the other output of the amp (the remote one ).
FoolsGold
New here