You are here

A table as a work station

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

A table as a work station

Postby Deleted User » Thu May 02, 2019 10:49 pm

Might seam daft as a brush to ask where can I get a table from to use while performing live.
But all the standard tables seam to be about half a meter tall; that is the perfect height for when sitting in a chair, or some of the expanding tables I saw for sale in my Argos catalog go upto 0.7M.

But when your stood up and want to keep your head straight so you can
1. Use proper breath support and alignment
2. Interact/ engage with your audience
Thoughts tables are just to low to be looking down at you mixer and (visual) monitor

Something of the height to that of a music stand is needed of a minimum of 1 meter

What do you boys use?
Thanks
Deleted User
Regular

Re: A table as a work station

Postby fatbenelton » Thu May 02, 2019 11:08 pm

Not exactly a table, but the Konig and Meyer 'table style keyboard stand' goes up to 1020mm. Got add ons for laptop etc....

https://produkte.k-m.de/en/product?info ... 19781efd07
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Postby Deleted User » Fri May 03, 2019 12:27 am

fatbenelton wrote:Not exactly a table, but the Konig and Meyer 'table style keyboard stand' goes up to 1020mm. Got add ons for laptop etc....

I just don't get it! How on earth are you supposed to place all your items perched upon a tube of angle iron
Deleted User
Regular

Postby BigRedX » Fri May 03, 2019 7:42 am

itchy and scratchy wrote:
fatbenelton wrote:Not exactly a table, but the Konig and Meyer 'table style keyboard stand' goes up to 1020mm. Got add ons for laptop etc....

I just don't get it! How on earth are you supposed to place all your items perched upon a tube of angle iron

Just in case that's a serious comment...

I take it you have lots of small devices all interconnected. What you need to do is have them permanently set up in a suitably sized pedal flight case which you can place on the keyboard stand of your choice.

Erect your keyboard stand. Place the flight case on it and remove the lid. Plug into the PA. Total on-stage set-up time under five minutes. A short set up times will make you popular with the venue, promoter and other performers on the bill. Also you are less likely to misplace any of your devices when packing down afterwards.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Luke W » Fri May 03, 2019 9:56 am

BigRedX wrote:I take it you have lots of small devices all interconnected. What you need to do is have them permanently set up in a suitably sized pedal flight case which you can place on the keyboard stand of your choice.

Erect your keyboard stand. Place the flight case on it and remove the lid. Plug into the PA. Total on-stage set-up time under five minutes. A short set up times will make you popular with the venue, promoter and other performers on the bill. Also you are less likely to misplace any of your devices when packing down afterwards.

:thumbup:

A setup like this makes everyone's life much easier, I've had some seriously painful gigs seeing people spend what seems like eternity wrestling with a bag full of gear and cables whilst setting up.

Now I'm the first to admit I've got a bit of a problem when it comes to flightcasing and cable tying nearly every bit of kit I own*, but it's for good reason.

* Usually labeling it up too...
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby MarkPAman » Fri May 03, 2019 10:33 am

Keyboard stands or mixer stands are probably what you're looking for.

I have one of these https://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_mixer_stand.htm which does the job for my mixer.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri May 03, 2019 10:36 am

That actually looks pretty useful for all sorts of things - and not overly expensive either. How stable is it? How snug are those joints?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby MarkPAman » Fri May 03, 2019 11:06 am

Not fantastically snug, it does wobble a little, the hinges are good, it's the extending legs that move a bit. But it's solid enough for me to be happy sitting my SQ6 on it. Owners of Digico and Yamaha desks have also deemed it solid enough recently.

I've got a wheel board (about 3'x2') with casters for moving stuff in and out of venues. I realised that by screwing a couple of bits of 2"x1" to the bottom these can fit either side of the stand's middle bar, giving me a good table top.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Logarhythm » Fri May 03, 2019 4:36 pm

Maybe a bit cumbersome, but if it is actually a table that you want, rather than a stand for gubbins mounted in a rack/case, then IKEA do a range of height adjustable sit/stand desks - iirc these go from about 70-120cm.
Similar may be available from elsewhere - I just recall seeing them in there when looking at parts to build my current desk.
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby Deleted User » Fri May 03, 2019 5:13 pm

Nar sorry not having it. This is a Cray idea!

You place a plastic box (with sides to it) onto a frame stand in the hope that it wont get knocked off.
And you are supposed to be able to read from your laptop with the sides of the box in the way

I mean those boxes don't even look big enough to fit onto a keyboard stand in the first place
Deleted User
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri May 03, 2019 6:05 pm

???

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Deleted User » Fri May 03, 2019 8:01 pm

OK floor mounted box. How do you get all the items in the box to stay in one position/ securely mounted. How do you mount it to the keyboard stand. How do you pack it away as the items inside it appear to be taller then the walls of the box?
Deleted User
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 03, 2019 8:49 pm

itchy and scratchy wrote:OK floor mounted box. How do you get all the items in the box to stay in one position/ securely mounted. How do you mount it to the keyboard stand. How do you pack it away as the items inside it appear to be taller then the walls of the box?
Velcro or cable ties depending on the set up.
That will depend on the stand, gravity and friction may do the job, reusable cable ties may be needed.
The top of the box is the deep bit.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Deleted User » Fri May 03, 2019 9:30 pm

Velcro or cable ties, gravity and friction
Nar sorry still not buying it!
Deleted User
Regular

Postby RobinC » Fri May 03, 2019 9:57 pm

itchy and scratchy wrote:Might seam daft as a brush to ask where can I get a table from to use while performing live.
But all the standard tables seam to be about half a meter tall; that is the perfect height for when sitting in a chair, or some of the expanding tables I saw for sale in my Argos catalog go upto 0.7M.

You can get height adjustable tables from ikea. Easy to adjust the height, legs can be unscrewed for transport
RobinC
Poster

Postby Deleted User » Fri May 03, 2019 10:25 pm

RobinC wrote:
itchy and scratchy wrote:Might seam daft as a brush to ask where can I get a table from to use while performing live.

You can get height adjustable tables from ikea. Easy to adjust the height, legs can be unscrewed for transport
Yer but they only go upto 0.7M tall
Deleted User
Regular

Postby Kwackman » Fri May 03, 2019 10:39 pm

itchy and scratchy wrote:
RobinC wrote:

Yer but they only go upto 0.7M tall

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/des ... -49084965/
Ugly, but up to 120 cms. They do others that go to 120 cms too. Not sure how easy to transport though.

Or something like this...
https://www.studiospares.com/Accessorie ... 458400.htm
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby RobinC » Sat May 04, 2019 9:13 am

I’ve got 2 of these

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/des ... -59047147/

Height adjustable to over a metre
RobinC
Poster