You are here

Wiring from stereo amplifier to active speakers

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Wiring from stereo amplifier to active speakers

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:43 am

The OP hasn't got the sub yet, so why go for a sub with a single input? I doubt if there are many active subs around with a single input, so why actively go and search for one and make your life harder?

If the OP still has the Tapco, then the best route would be to feed the Tapco with the L+R feeds from the KA 6, then either a) feed the main speaker power amp inputs from the Tapco high pass filtered outputs or else b) feed active speakers directly from the Tapco high pass filtered outputs.

The OP really needs to provide more details of this new arrangement and whether it has any relation to the previous one.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ef37a » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:29 am

Wonks wrote:The OP hasn't got the sub yet, so why go for a sub with a single input? I doubt if there are many active subs around with a single input, so why actively go and search for one and make your life harder?

If the OP still has the Tapco, then the best route would be to feed the Tapco with the L+R feeds from the KA 6, then either a) feed the main speaker power amp inputs from the Tapco high pass filtered outputs or else b) feed active speakers directly from the Tapco high pass filtered outputs.

The OP really needs to provide more details of this new arrangement and whether it has any relation to the previous one.

We are on the same songsheet good sir!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hol » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:47 pm

Happy to oblige ;)

I've decided to be kind, and leave the Tapco sub in the front room, where its presence is very welcome when watching films. However, because the spare room where I work and listen to drum and bass has got such awful nodes, I need to stick another sub into the corner of the spare room - the only way I've been able to find otherwise to get proper (i.e. proportionate to the track, as the HS-8's are very capable) bass levels is to put the speakers into the centre of the room, and sit back about 4ft from them - this is obviously ridiculous from a space-usage point of view! Just to be clear, I'm deliberately going for a disproportionate level of bass here, for general relaxing rather than any mix accuracy etc.

I'd rather not spend the best part of £400, hence looking to see if anything else could be patched in relatively easily.
Hol
Poster

Previous