You are here

Line to Phono converter

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Line to Phono converter

Postby mfzb10 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:17 pm

Hello!

My girlfriend has given me a USB powered turntable which only has a line level output, with no RIAA eq. (the entire quality of the thing is rather poor, but I am only concerned about the output).

Listening to an album using that output, and with no RIAA eq is not an option, it sounds bass-less.

I do have a pretty good phono amplifier though, with RIAA eq, so I was thinking about getting a Line to Phono converter (only to reduce the signal, with no RIAA eq applied) so that I can use my preamp.

This product is non-existent in my country, so I was thinking about building one myself. I understand electronics and circuitry to some extent, but I am a newbie.

Would it be difficult to build something like that?

I really was amazed at how difficult it was to find something that could do this.... specially in this age of cheaply-made USB turntables....

thanks in advance!
mfzb10
New here

Re: Line to Phono converter

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:27 am

The name of the device that you are looking for is an attenuator. Something like the one at

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Saa40-Stereo-A ... 3788682756

However, it may be worth checking that there are no hidden switches on your turntable that switch the RIAA eq on or off. If the quality is as bad as the typical budget USB turntable then I'd avoid playing any valued records on it as the arm geometry on many of these turntables is completely wrong. It would be better to look for an old hifi turntable which will usually sound better and be much kinder to your vinyl.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page