You are here

Hacking the Perc Pro

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Hacking the Perc Pro

Postby zenguitar » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:08 pm

Is the Teensy the only microprocessor you can spot?

The Teensy can be set up as a MIDI device so it is possible that it might be focused on the MIDI functionality rather than the broader functionality.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
The more I understand Music, the less good I get at it.

Postby BJG145 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:26 pm

...spent a bit more time testing between each pin and the shield this morning.

Pin 1 stays at 0V, while Pin 2 is connected to V+ at 24V.

Pin 3 shows the most promise. This delivers around 15V with a voltage drop on a MIDI pulse which varies with velocity. The highest MIDI velocity causes a drop of around 0.2V, and the lowest around 2V. The LEDs for each channel flash with a brightness which corresponds to velocity.

Pin 4 stays around 0.03V, and Pin 5 at 0.3V

I don't think I'm going to get much further with this though, so I reckon I'll wait until a secondhand one turns up one day, then attack it with a hacksaw and find out that way.

I just tried connecting up an old solenoid I had lying around to Pin 3 and it did nothing. Then I hit it with Pin 2, which certainly made it move, before it overdosed.

Dunno how complicated it would be to wire a circuit that took a 24V power supply and a signal that varied between 15V and 13V, and translated it to an output that could drive a solenoid between 0V and 12V...?

I can't seem to measure a current from the Pin 3 signal.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:43 pm

I posted up a description on an electronics forum and someone replied that the voltage dip I mentioned sounded unlikely - which made me think that perhaps a multimeter isn't going to respond fast enough to evaluate the signal accurately, and I'd need to use an oscilloscope. I've blagged one off the Physics Dept at the University where I work, and I'll try hooking it up when I get a chance.

Meanwhile...I just had a notification that the Dada Machines Automat range is back in stock, and decided to pick up a controller before they run out again. I didn't think I'd need to get any of the solenoid / "element" packs as they seemed rather expensive, but...I dunno. Would it be wise to pick up any of their standard peripherals, or can I happily do without...?
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:15 pm

BJG145 wrote:I posted up a description on an electronics forum and someone replied that the voltage dip I mentioned sounded unlikely - which made me think that perhaps a multimeter isn't going to respond fast enough to evaluate the signal accurately, and I'd need to use an oscilloscope. I've blagged one off the Physics Dept at the University where I work, and I'll try hooking it up when I get a chance.

Meanwhile...I just had a notification that the Dada Machines Automat range is back in stock, and decided to pick up a controller before they run out again. I didn't think I'd need to get any of the solenoid / "element" packs as they seemed rather expensive, but...I dunno. Would it be wise to pick up any of their standard peripherals, or can I happily do without...?

1. Good luck with the scope - sounds like a suitable approach, so short pulses makes perfect sense to me - perhaps pulse width determines the 'velocity' of the strike, rather than the voltage of the pulse.

2. Sensible to get the Automat - handy and cost effective little unit. I tend to agree about the peripherals - if you're handy as a DIYer you can make your own to perfectly do the job you require. I also seem to remember that the Automat designer offered 3d printer files for anyone who wanted to go that route and make their own.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:17 pm

Also, there are very detailed assembly plans of the various Automat 'Adapters and Elements' that make it quite obvious how everything works.

Here's one: https://dadamachines.com/getstarted/aut ... -assembly/

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby BJG145 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:03 pm

In the end I decided to take the easier option of flogging the Polyend controller on eBay and ordering a Dadamachines Automat instead. Still waiting for that, but I was interested to get a notification today about a new software update that now implements velocity for it, apparently by setting the gate duration.

https://forum.dadamachines.com/t/automa ... -2-0-0/326

Looking forward to finally getting my hands on some robot percussion. The new batch should start shipping next month with any luck...
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:28 pm

* another necro-bump *

I'm not very good with oscilloscopes. So I tried to sell it for a while; last time the buyer resolutely missed deliveries (and ignored emails) until it got returned to me, for a charge. (What a dick.)

But it's a case of, once SOS-bitten, forever smitten. So I've kept a lookout from the the crow's nest, biding my time...

...and I just pulled the trigger on another one on eBay; just the single-beater version. (Well, they hardly ever turn up secondhand :-| .) It hasn't turned up yet, but I'm already agonising over whether to play it cautiously, keeping it wrapped in cotton wool when not in use...or take a bandsaw to this spheroid black box in the name of science.

(...watch this space...)

;)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:17 pm

...so, I bought this thing from a seller in Austria just as they went into lockdown. They were concerned that they might not be able to get it shipped out, but it turned up today. I just scissored it open, binned the outer packaging, and smothered myself in antibac.

I'm sorry, I had actually thought I might crack it open to see what was inside but...no fricking way. It's gorgeous. The beater is ridiculously heavy, beautifully engineered, and all in mint condition.

Can't wait to see what this thing can do, but the internal workings will remain a beautiful mystery.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:10 am

Always uplifting to hear some GOOD news in these troubled times.

Enjoy your new purchase BJG145! :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Previous