You are here

Salvage or Skip?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Salvage or Skip?

Postby Taxman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:29 am

Hello Again,

When shipping my equipment to Australia from the UK my old Behringer T1952 compressor was damaged. Thankfully it was the least expensive and only damaged item.

However, I was thinking that it would be a shame to just bin it. If there is any advice on whether it can be rebuilt, split into two single comps or even repaired and improved I'd be open to all suggestions. I was even thinking that I could perhaps have a (very careful) go myself. Is it worth it?

Cheers, Sam
Taxman
Regular

Re: Salvage or Skip?

Postby Folderol » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:34 am

Image fails to load without both facebook and google cookies enabled, along with a few other known dodgy ones - not going to happen here!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby ef37a » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:56 am

I have EEEventually tracked down a user manual in English! http://flopyplus.260mb.net/manuales/Beh ... manual.pdf

That is an excellent, "Old School" document and I wish present day manufacturers were all giving such service, even if only as .pdf!

The unit has "pro" input and output levels and impedances and a decent specification although other reports mention some noise and hum? The suggestion is to replace IC's with LM4562s but usually noise is due to high circuit resistances and even early OP amps were pretty good at anything 10dB of so above mic levels.

What is the nature of the damage Taxman? The comp' uses Surface Mount tech' and if you have any cracked PCBs or components repair will be virtually impossible.

The box uses valves but SEEMS to use low voltage techniques since one "modder" I found mentioned modding for "high voltage operation"...I hope he knows exactly WTF he is doing! Not a straightforward task. If it IS low V, under 50V say, then you would be safe working on the beast but post some close ups of the IEC mains input area so we can see what might be exposed there.

First thing, after some careful inspection would be to power it up and see if all the supply rails are present. But, DON'T plug it in yet!! If the PSU is in any way borked, likely a WEEE job, or turn it into a guitar pre amp!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:19 am

Folderol wrote:Image fails to load without both facebook and google cookies enabled, along with a few other known dodgy ones - not going to happen here!
In Windows, right clicking and opening in another window works for me, though directly left-clicking doesn't.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Matt Houghton » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:13 am

I was given one of those years back, and TBH wasn't a huge fan. I always thought it would make a decent donor chassis for something like a DIY SSL clone, though...
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:47 am

If you take your time you can probably straighten that bend rack ear out again, but you'll need to strip the unit down to remove the front panel.

Whether it's actually worth the effort is debatable, though. As I recall it's not a very impressive (or useful) unit, and probably not worth enough second hand to justify the hours of work involved in fixing it.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Taxman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:06 am

Thanks for the replies chaps. I’ll have a look at the images.

Dave, it was dropped very heavily on the front-right corner. I’ve opened it up and there is no damage to the power supply or any pcb’s. One pot is stuffed though. Not bad considering.

Hugh, that’s precisely what I was thinking. I had another compressor with a slightly bent corner which I fixed. Would never know to look at it. However the Berry does not warrant the effort!

Thanks Matt, I was wondering if it could be useful in becoming something slightly more impressive!

Cheers, Sam
Taxman
Regular

Postby Taxman » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:46 am

Greetings,

Just to follow up the PSU/socket area looked okay so I powered it up. No issues. As mentioned before PCB’s and components are all intact.

Thank you for the responses so far. If you have any suggestions on customisation, and or resources of information please let me know. I have searched online but come up with nowt. I am more adept with timber and tools but would enjoy (with a healthy respect of safety) working on this as an ongoing project and learning experience.

Thank you, Sam

[img][img]https://i.postimg.cc/8fcNZbX1/02-E739-D8-4-DE4-4-B9-A-8463-075407-F48779.jpg[/img]

[/img]
Taxman
Regular

Postby ef37a » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:53 am

As I said. Guitar pre amp.

Since recieved wisdom seems to suggest they are a pretty rubbish comp/lim I would rip out all but the PSU, keeping the valve PCB assembly handy. If the unit uses low volts for the valves it might be possible to increase that a bit (safely!) with a voltage double/tripler to 50V or so.

I have alway handled full HT, 250V and up valve gear but have always been interested in how good very low V valve pre amps might be?

You can PM me if you like and we can chew the cud over emails?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Taxman » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:14 pm

Hi Dave,

That Sir is a very fine offer and very exciting. Thank you very, very much. I will absolutely get in touch to see if/how I can salvage something. I’ll get reading and get in contact.

Thank you again, Sam
Taxman
Regular