You are here

Advice on soundproofing party walls

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Advice on soundproofing party walls

Postby soundadvice » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:10 am

Hello

I had written a post but it wasn’t approved because:

The reported message has the only purpose to advertise for a website or
another product.

It actually wasn’t, as just wanted some help in choosing the best soundproofing solution to block out neighbour loud tv and music.

Maybe because I added links to a company then?

Has anyone used to the Isomax clip system with good results?

Cheers

SA
soundadvice

Re: Advice on soundproofing party walls

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:39 am

soundadvice wrote:It actually wasn’t, as just wanted some help in choosing the best soundproofing solution to block out neighbour loud tv and music.

As one of the highest rating websites on Google we are target for a considerable amount of spam, and so when a new poster enters the moderation queue, posting with several links to the same company, it sets off all the spam alarms!

However, posting again with a different approach demonstrates a genuine enquiry... so welcome to the SOS forums! :wave:

Has anyone used to the Isomax clip system with good results?

For the benefit of other readers, the blocked post provided some additional detail about an issue with noise transmission from noisy neighbours through a party wall, audible in several rooms -- hence the enquiry about 'soundproofing'.

I can't offer a view on the Isomax system, although the company does seem to offer credible advice and practical products.

However, soundproofing is extremely difficult and involved, and can only ever be as good as its weakest link. Applying additional mass layers and acoustic deadening materials to the walls will do very little if the noise is also being transmitted through the building structure before being converted back into acoustic noise -- so-called Flanking noises.

As this stuff is expensive you really need the advice of a qualified and experienced acoustician who can assess the source of the problem along with the building structure properly, and then work out an effective solution... but expect to pay thousands, not hundreds... and even then you are unlikely to achieve the perfect peace and quiet you hope for.

Sorry... but that is the reality.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Advice on soundproofing party walls

Postby soundadvice » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:36 pm

Ok thanks for this.

The soundproof store people seem quite helpful and was hoping the fact they suggested a slightly cheaper option which they felt would work better for my issue counted for something.

The front room which is the first wall I felt would be a good test for if this solution worked.

There seems to be lots of companies selling similar products and the direct to wall system seems to make sense.

Any further advice much appreciated!
soundadvice