You are here

A Long List of Compromises - new music space

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: A Long List of Compromises - new music space

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:23 pm

Wherever it went it took mine too!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:48 am

Well I’ve been sailing 4 times and I know what you mean. Some of the pull tops on cans of beer really put up a fight . . . . :silent:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:43 pm

:D :D :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:59 pm

A bit more progress.
The main frame is almost complete and all the panels are now hung:

Reverse view:

This definitely brings the end in sight.

Jobs left to do:
Duvet hanger (and duvet eyelets etc) - smallish job.
rear wall central diffuser/absorber - medium job.
rear wall wide diffusers - medium job.
Computer cabinet - medium job.

So still a chunk left to do, but we're getting there.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:40 pm

Well that was vexing. Duvet hanger stuff done and thought that it actually made sense to make up the desk now and actually get some of the clutter off the floor and tidied up as all the work now is for the back wall.
So I made up the desk, well, about 95% of it. Fitting the last part I discovered that instead of a left and right runner for the keyboard tray, I have two lefts.
Which was more than a trifle vexing.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:31 pm

blinddrew wrote:So I made up the desk, well, about 95% of it. Fitting the last part I discovered that instead of a left and right runner for the keyboard tray, I have two lefts.
Which was more than a trifle vexing.

Oh poor you - and I bet you've had those runners for months in anticipation, too! :headbang: :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:33 am

It's been sitting in a box for at least a couple of months! Oh well, I'll give them a shout today and see what we can sort out.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby jaminem » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:05 pm

Been following this thread with interest, and have been really impressed with your progress Drew

Now you have posted those last photo's I'm a bit worried for you...

Are all of those panels really necessary? You seem to be losing a load of space and creating what appears to be a really oppressive environment.

Its cool if you like it of course, but are you sure that's going to be a nice place to work? and isn't it going to sound really really dead? Like just really dull...

I may be talking totally out of my arse but, if I was working on there I may end up going barnyard... :crazy:

It reminds me a bit of the room Dallas and Ripley get access to MUTHUR in Alien...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:00 pm

Hi Jamimen,
Thanks for your concern (and I mean that, I'm not being sarcastic), let me try and allay that a bit for you though.
Firstly, in larger control rooms the rough rule of thumb is to aim for 1/3rd of the surface area reflective, 1/3rd absorbent, and 1/3rd diffusive. This isn't a huge space but it's not tiny either (approx 4m*3m*2.15m), but counting all the panels, the bass traps and what's still to come on the back wall there will be less than 1/3rd coverage of absorption. It's mostly concentrated at one end so the other end is actually quite live. The main frame moves and there's a drop-down duvet so I can control the amount of reverberation as required.
The panels are also pretty easily removable, so if I find it is too dead then it's no big deal to take a couple down and have them as impromptu gobos.

In terms of lost space, again it's not too bad - the ceiling cloud is higher than I am tall so that was dead space, the ceiling/wall corners are likewise largely dead space. The wall panels are 4" deep and set 2-3" off the wall - still leaving me more than 10" of space between the panels.

Finally, in terms of the overall aesthetic of the room, those last two photos were taken after dark so it is a bit gloomy in that shot, but despite the way the panels overlap the door and windows a bit (see thread title! :D ) there's still a lot of light coming in during the daytime. I also have plans for a couple of decorative lights to go in each of the behind-the-desk corners that will throw a bit of a softer light around the place.

So I could be wrong on all those things but I'm currently fairly comfortable with how it's going - in fact the thing that has surprised me most about this whole project is how much has gone exactly to plan! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:24 pm

I think that you'll be fine. I have a very similar 'front end', although my room isn't as wide as yours from what I can see. I certainly don't feel claustrophobic (so I can't use that as an excuse for lack of output). I can't remember whether or not it felt strange at first but it's certainly not something that I think about now and in fact I'm minded to put up more absorption at some point.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby jaminem » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:40 pm

blinddrew wrote:Firstly, in larger control rooms the rough rule of thumb is to aim for 1/3rd of the surface area reflective, 1/3rd absorbent, and 1/3rd diffusive.

Cool, ok. I guess my point is coming from the fact that I've been in and out of a lot of facilities and the only place I have seen that amount of absorption concentrated in that sort of area is in mastering rooms (where its hidden behind fabric) but you sound like you're on top of things, so I hope it goes well for you!
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:48 pm

Ha! I hope so. :)
The proof will be in recording but I have done quite a bit of research and maths based on a couple of books recommended by the good Dr so I'm hopeful.
What is immediately obvious is that i will need to dampen all the strings on any unused instruments. Once you start reducing the room echoes these other resonances become very obvious.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:01 pm

Then after that you have to tame all gurgles and other rumbles, so no curry or beans the day before a session!

I like the look - almost like your own private holodeck Cap’n Jean Luc Drew!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:05 pm

We have matching hairstyles! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:28 pm

Quick trip to Gear4music and they swapped the runner over for me - the advantage of buying locally. :)
So this evening I set the desk up and that end of the room is looking a bit more like a studio and a bit less like a building site! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:34 pm

If that is your final or almost final setup then I see you are wrestling with the same issues I am. You need access to the mouse when playing the controller but also when the controller is tucked away and you are mostly using the computer keyboard.
For me the constant is the mouse but I constantly go between controllers and computer keyboard.
I have almost found a non-crippling (not too much reaching so I can keep good posture etc) setup but am always curious what others are doing.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:50 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:If that is your final or almost final setup then I see you are wrestling with the same issues I am. You need access to the mouse when playing the controller but also when the controller is tucked away and you are mostly using the computer keyboard.
For me the constant is the mouse but I constantly go between controllers and computer keyboard.
I have almost found a non-crippling (not too much reaching so I can keep good posture etc) setup but am always curious what others are doing.

My approach is to have my main controller keyboards down each side of the studio (5-octaves synth ones stacked on the left, and 88-key weighted piano-style on the right) , and in then front of me I have a 2-octave keyboard for basic editing and the odd solo, with my PC keyboard directly in front and the mouse alongside.

keyboard.JPG

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:34 pm

Shouldn’t the whiskey, I mean, inspiration glass be more front and centre? :mrgreen:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Music Wolf » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:36 pm

Look which side the mouse is on!!!! Or should that be Witch side the mouse is on?

Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:48 pm

I did notice that and thought, "ah, MW is of a 'sinister' persuasion" :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

PreviousNext