You are here

A Long List of Compromises - new music space

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: A Long List of Compromises - new music space

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:45 pm

Don't forget to account for the effects of Planck's constant in your calculations Drew ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:44 pm

Ba dum tsh! ;)
Well, I stuck some legs on tonight and cut the blanks for some heavier beaters, this sounds a little better now.

And here are the Biscuit Tin Radio (better band name I reckon) lamps:

blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:38 pm

Nice! :clap: 8-) :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:32 pm

Had to have the lights on all day today because it's been so autumnal* up here
But they work really nicely to give a decent level of light but one that's nice and atmospheric.
And I've got the bright overheads for clarity when setting up or getting the soldering iron out.

So that leaves three jobs to do.
1) making an active, mono, mid-range check speaker from an old Mission hifi speaker.
2) making another lamp from the other speaker.
3) making a new desktop and top shelf to replace the existing ones. The desktop will flare out at the front and side edges to give a bit more space for the control surfaces, the top shelf will be the counter-shape to provide an extended surface to the rear so that the screens can go back a bit (which should improve the stereo imaging a bit).

I have no idea when I will get round to these jobs! :D

* Chucking it down!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby RichardT » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:28 pm

It’s looking very good.
RichardT
Regular

Postby N i g e l » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:22 pm

Yep, looking very good indeed !

I am curious about your monitors tho ? They look old & square but maybe have more area than modern 16:9 types ? possibly keep the room warmer too !

This summer I had been thinking about creating a mids mono grot box from either pair of stereo speakers under the stairs + class D amp module from Ebay. EPIC FAIL ! as the rubber on the outer circumference of all 4 bass cones were crumbling. I was surprised at that.
The "why I love ...." bookshelf JBL control 1s article made me laugh as the Richer sounds price would have made any refurb attempt pointless.

Anyway, other driver units are available and woodworking can be fun, in the rain

**Warning: the following 22:33 video may reduce your time available for making music**
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMnzBM197uc

ps: i hope your keeping your sawdust, some of those folkbands can be a bit rough
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:51 pm

We have a funny vocabulary here don't we? My first thought was "Old and square? They're brand new Neumanns." Then I realised what you meant... ;)
They're a pair of 19" 4/3 screens that I picked up at various times for the grand total of £0.
I have thought about replacing them with a single, more modern alternative but there's a couple of challenges there. FIrstly is budget - I'm about to upgrade my computer for the first time in about a decade and that's going to be the limit of my spending in the short term. Secondly though, the overhead room treatment includes the angled panel behind the screens. So if I move the frame right out into the room then that panel passes over the screens - particularly if I set them back a bit.
I have done the maths and reckon that a single, wide-screen 32" screen would give me about the same real estate and, if I built a bracket, would just fit under the panel.
But that's a long time off in the future because fundamentally, these screens do the job perfectly. :)

Got that video lined up for watching later. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:51 pm

ah yes, it would have been less ambiguous for me to say "computer display equipment".
and your audio monitors aint bad either :D

I have the ubiquitous 2 x widescreens, side by side in landscape but not everybody likes having a bezel gap in the middle. Others have one screen in landscape & another in portrait which must take a bit of getting used to but is handy for reading A4 manuals (I struggle to think of many manuals formatted in landscape).
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Previous