You are here

A Long List of Compromises - new music space

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: A Long List of Compromises - new music space

Postby blinddrew » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:29 pm

There's no science involved, just some 'best practice'. Bass traps in the corners (you can never have too much bass trapping), broadband absorbers at mirror points spaced off the wall, bit of diffusion on the back wall.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:31 pm

And, if you've got a big expanse of wall or ceiling still exposed after you've done that bung an extra panel up in the middle of it. :thumbup:

I've heard said that a useful rule of thumb is to have 30% absorbers, 30% diffusers and the remainder left as is.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:03 pm

I'd certainly agree with the notion of no more than 30% of the wall area covered in absorber panels. If you go higher than that the room can become overly dead/dull, particularly in the mid and high frequency regions, with the result that the space sounds boxy and coloured.

I'm not entirely convinced about diffusion in a small room. It's a good idea in a larger space, for sure, but in a small room I've found it can be difficult to give the diffuser panels enough space to actually diffuse the sound properly. If the panels are too close to the listening position they can create a phasey sound, which isn't helpful!

But the approach I'd recommend is to set up the absorbers and traps first -- corners, mirror points etc -- and then have a listen. If it becomes apparent that some diffusion is required, it's easy to experiment to see where to place them.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:08 am

That is what I have done, no diffusion simply for space reasons, and I'm happy with the result.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:10 am

My diffusion will largely be by the default option of having a bookcase there. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:31 am

Mine is by having the room so full of 5h1t that there isn't a flat surface visible anywhere.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:46 am

I think that's true for most of us, Sam! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:20 pm

I moved stuff around recently and, to make space, a couple of guitars are now hung on the wall. One of them is a brass bodied tri-cone resonator and the problem is that - it resonates. I haven't tried to do any serious mixing since the move but if you raise your voice you can hear it ring out. I'll probably have to ask it to leave the room at certain times :headbang:
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:24 pm

Music Wolf wrote:I moved stuff around recently and, to make space, a couple of guitars are now hung on the wall. One of them is a brass bodied tri-cone resonator and the problem is that - it resonates. I haven't tried to do any serious mixing since the move but if you raise your voice you can hear it ring out. I'll probably have to ask it to leave the room at certain times :headbang:

A little bit of Christmas stuffing perhaps?
Martin Walker

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:45 pm

It just goes to prove that I really, really, need a dedicated guitar room (in addition to a live space, a control room, a mic store etc, etc)
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:08 pm

Music Wolf wrote:It just goes to prove that I really, really, need a dedicated guitar room (in addition to a live space, a control room, a mic store etc, etc)
Shouldn't be a problem. With all that kit to play with you don't need a bedroom :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby CS70 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:29 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Mine is by having the room so full of 5h1t that there isn't a flat surface visible anywhere.

So long it doesn't run away when you try to reach for it, it's fine... :D :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby CS70 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:35 pm

Music Wolf wrote:I moved stuff around recently and, to make space, a couple of guitars are now hung on the wall. One of them is a brass bodied tri-cone resonator and the problem is that - it resonates. I haven't tried to do any serious mixing since the move but if you raise your voice you can hear it ring out. I'll probably have to ask it to leave the room at certain times :headbang:

I had once the same problem with a drum kit... I was recording in well set up room at a music center but there was a drum kit there, and on certain notes something resonated in the kit giving a really strange sound! In the end we had to move all the pieces out of the room. :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby N i g e l » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:47 pm

CS70 wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:Mine is by having the room so full of 5h1t that there isn't a flat surface visible anywhere.

So long it doesn't run away when you try to reach for it, it's fine... :D :D

:bouncy:

blinddrew wrote:My diffusion will largely be by the default option of having a bookcase there. :)

thats another advantage over having a disc full of PDFs :)
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:22 pm

I have been assuming that bits of foam wedged between the strings and fretboard will take care of the bulk of these resonances.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext