You are here

transforming data into sound through electropads

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

transforming data into sound through electropads

Postby lobitaazulita » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:56 am

i am doing a project archiving sounds of different cactus for research. There is no microphone (apart from a microbiology microphone that costs $6000) that can pick up the sounds of plants.. u have to do it through electric waves using electropads (used in electrocardiogram exams).

i am trying to connect the electropads into my computer to give me data (i dont need sound, just data of the electric current it depicts) to transform that data into sound. Theoretically if I connect the electropads to a MIDI and that into my computer it should work on the sending-data-in bit. I don't know what sound software to receive this data with though, nor if my system is correct in the first place.

If anyone can please enlighten me to some knowledge on this topic or direct me to a software that transforms codes into sound (i thought of MAX msp?) that would be awesome!
Thank you
lobitaazulita

Re: transforming data into sound through electropads

Postby MOF » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:05 am

You will need some means of converting the voltage to midi e.g. a drum pad interface converts the piezo voltage from a drum pad to different levels of midi velocity. I don’t know what voltage you get out of the pads you’re using but I would imagine they’ll need amplifying first.
Once you’ve done that you’ll need to leave your DAW recording for many hours presumably and I don’t know if there’s a maximum record time that might be insufficient for your project.
MOF
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:13 am

Why re-invent the wheel when someone else has done all the hard work already? There's a very neat and elegant solution that does precisely what you want and need here: electopads in with adjustable sensitivity, MIDI note/velocity data out:

https://www.midisprout.com/instructions-midi-sprout

Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby BJG145 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:43 am

Recording cacti? Watch out for the audio spikes.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:57 am

No need to be prickly about it... :smirk:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:02 pm

Imagine the horrors of the durum solo...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:15 pm

Too cool!
I remember reading The Secret Life of Plants many moons ago, particularly how plants react to specific stimuli. The resulting "cacti music" could be quite interesting.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:30 pm

That's an interesting project - although I'd approach it slightly differently by recording the raw voltages and then converting them to MIDI (or whatever else you want) later. That way you know that you are collecting everything that you might possibly need at a later date.

An old colleague of mine used to use a Labjack system which aren't too expensive and seem easy to use.

https://labjack.com/
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby MOF » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:16 pm

Why re-invent the wheel when someone else has done all the hard work already? There's a very neat and elegant solution that does precisely what you want and need here: electopads in with adjustable sensitivity, MIDI note/velocity data out:

https://www.midisprout.com/instructions ... idi-sprout

I clicked on this link thinking it would be an archived SOS April fool. I've had a browse around the site and it looks for real. I'm still not sure how much data comes out per second and how long you would need to record for to get anything meaningful (once sped up?), it implies it's all in real time.
I won't be buying one myself, a bit too random for my tracks.
MOF
Regular