You are here

Recommendations for resilience strip suppliers

Page 1 of 1

Recommendations for resilience strip suppliers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:39 am
I am planning to build a music studio in my garden. It will be constructed from SIPs (structurally insulated panels) and clad externally with a composite material (Marley Cedral or equivalent) and internally with two layers of soundproof dry lining.

Internally the dry lining will be mounted on resilience strips. But here’s the thing. Can anyone recommend a resilience strip supplier since the more I read about the product, the more confused about efficacy of resilience strips? I understand the installation techniques so that is not an issue.

One further issue is whether or not I should be installing a layer of insulation between the soundproof dry lining and the SIPs?

Any guidance on this issue would be much appreciated.

Re: Recommendations for resilience strip suppliers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:37 pm
by ParkerJonesAcoustics
The purpose of resilient strips underneath plasterboard is mainly to stop structural noise from impacting on the floor (i.e. footsteps, chairscrapes, dropping objects) from transmitting via vibrations through the floor and into the wall. It also aids in preventing flanking sound underneath a wall. So the purpose is mainly for sound insulation between two rooms, stopping sound from your room impacting on the room next door. As you're a space in the garden with no adjacencies, you might not necessarily need resilient strips.

However, they're not hugely expensive either. I believe if you search for Yelofon, these are the ones recommended by Robust Details (a guide with constructions to meet the sound insulation requirements between dwellings under the Building Regulations). I would imagine Regupol also do something. It may be called something like a 'flanking strip'. They also do acoustic underlays but again, the main aim of this is to control impact noise into a floor, not really an issue in your case.

Good luck!
Chris @ ParkerJones Acoustics

Re: Recommendations for resilience strip suppliers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:09 pm
Thank you Peter for your informative response.

I guess as a recording studio I'm also concerned about the ingress of sound from external sources (next door neighbours motor mower) so presumably the resilience bar system works both ways.

Re: Recommendations for resilience strip suppliers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:01 pm
by Studio Support Gnome
Travis perkins usually do a pretty good price on resilient channel, which is cheapest depends on deals at any given moment, often the Gyproc brand stuff is good price, but some times other brands have better offers. and they can also supply Knauf resilient isolation strip/tape, at a decent price as long as you buy a whole box . which is easy enough to use up.....

you can also buy EPDM tape from sound service , (

i like the knauf stuff, it's a bit softer, and if you're using it to edge ceilings that makes it a lot easier to install board into ...