You are here

A disastrous soldering session last night

Page 2 of 2

Re: A disastrous soldering session last night

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:20 pm
by blinddrew
Yep, getting a proper soldering station definitely makes things easier - even when you didn't think you had any difficulty beforehand. :)

Re: A disastrous soldering session last night

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:27 pm
by Hugh Robjohns
ef37a wrote:But, always mate a connector with its opposite number if you can, if nothing else, if you have a score to do it is much quicker to just plug and unplug a connector from its mate in the vice!

I agree -- and I generally use either the Studiospares cable checker that I mentioned earlier, or an ART DTI box to hold the connector being soldered. The boxes are heavy enough to hold things stable and in place while I solder and, in the case of the cable-tester, when I've finished I can check the wiring immediately!

H

Re: A disastrous soldering session last night

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:32 pm
by Studio Support Gnome
Hugh Robjohns wrote:
ef37a wrote:But, always mate a connector with its opposite number if you can, if nothing else, if you have a score to do it is much quicker to just plug and unplug a connector from its mate in the vice!

I agree -- and I generally use either the Studiospares cable checker that I mentioned earlier, or an ART DTI box to hold the connector being soldered. The boxes are heavy enough to hold things stable and in place while I solder and, in the case of the cable-tester, when I've finished I can check the wiring immediately!

H
I swear you nicked that trick off me ;)

Re: A disastrous soldering session last night

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:17 am
by Folderol
Well, I was using it in the 1970s with DIN plugs - so you prolly clocked me doing so :lol:

Re: A disastrous soldering session last night

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:05 pm
by Martin Walker
Now come on, own up...

Who did it in the sixties using a hole in the road? :beamup:


Martin

Re: A disastrous soldering session last night

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:05 pm
by Eddy Deegan
Martin Walker wrote:Now come on, own up...

Who did it in the sixties using a hole in the road? :beamup:

I suspect holes in the road were used for several things in the sixties ;)

Re: A disastrous soldering session last night

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:36 pm
by Folderol
Eddy Deegan wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:Now come on, own up...

Who did it in the sixties using a hole in the road? :beamup:

I suspect holes in the road were used for several things in the sixties ;)
Rumour has it that In London, it was the M4 flyover bridges.

Re: A disastrous soldering session last night

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:43 pm
by Mike Stranks
Martin Walker wrote:Now come on, own up...

Who did it in the sixties using a hole in the road? :beamup:


Martin

Wasn't that Bernard Cribbins?

Re: A disastrous soldering session last night

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:48 pm
by Folderol
Being (nearly) serious for a moment, in the 60s most kit still used bakalite and/or paxolin, so could shrug off seriously high temperatures.

Re: A disastrous soldering session last night

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:37 pm
by ef37a
Folderol wrote:Being (nearly) serious for a moment, in the 60s most kit still used bakalite and/or paxolin, so could shrug off seriously high temperatures.

And, Diallyl phthalate Will, commonly used as a slighly flexible insulator in valve bases and was fairly resistant to soldering heat.
Rather restricted in use now, bit of a health hazard it was found.

I LOVE the smell of Paxolin when you drill it! Not so good as a PCB substrate especially the thin, cheap crap they put in hot, cheap valved tellies!

Dave.

Re: A disastrous soldering session last night

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:43 pm
by Folderol
ef37a wrote:
Folderol wrote:Being (nearly) serious for a moment, in the 60s most kit still used bakalite and/or paxolin, so could shrug off seriously high temperatures.

I LOVE the smell of Paxolin when you drill it!

Dave.

So it's not just me then :lol: :bouncy:

Re: A disastrous soldering session last night

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:27 pm
by Eddy Deegan
Folderol wrote:
ef37a wrote:
Folderol wrote:Being (nearly) serious for a moment, in the 60s most kit still used bakalite and/or paxolin, so could shrug off seriously high temperatures.

I LOVE the smell of Paxolin when you drill it!

Dave.

So it's not just me then :lol: :bouncy:

Related if not directly relevant; as a young child, and (probably as a result) ever since, I always loved the smell of oil based paint!